1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Grey leaf spot.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Marine03112, Feb 11, 2020.

1. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

yea, I didn't think that you meant to say it that way, but I wanted to give you a second chance to convey your thoughts. excessive amounts of synthetic fertilizers or anything else could lead to turf disease. There is nothing wrong with synthetic fertilizer itself. I would think that excessive use of organic fertilizers could also lead to turf diseases.

I think you were being a little bit unfair to the synthetic fertilizer industry.

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry if I came across that way. There are many benefits to synthetic fertilizers. All things in moderation. I do believe our industry leans too heavily on them but is beginning to understand the benefits of of organic matter. I don't believe in either/or, I favour a balanced approach.

Here's a good read on turf diseases.
    http://grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_maintenance_nutrients_affect_turfgrass/

hort101 likes this.
  3. The Green One

The Green One LawnSite Member

Hey Marine,

Not far from your area of lawn care, so similar conditions.

I expect these wet years to continue, so GLS is on the mind too.

Had minimal outbreaks 2019 on my lawns of PR, even though very wet/warm season, and I believe that some of this result is from the changes to "inputs" regarding lawn apps.

The Late Spring app has more focus on a Biology Booster in the spray tank, along with 3x more Potassium than Nitrogen, and Micros too.

Scouting turfgrass height of clients in the summer, to be sure the lawn mowing company has not made the mistake of "Scalping" the lawn, exposing "sunlight to the soil". This hurts Biology and causes rooting depth loss. Disease loves this common Cultural error.

Sadly this still happens sometimes, and IF you see this on one of your lawns, Take the time to Educate the client, so they understand the problem, and they may be interested in Disease Control to insure they don't have any losses during the man made mower stress.

Scouting for GLS when the night temps dip below 60F late summer is a must.

A single client wants the 100% assurance of disease free turfgrass, and in addition, has Fungicide applied when pressure is high for outbreak(s).

Embrace what Barry points out too.

Marine03112 and hort101 like this.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Be sure to use quality perennial rye with high gray-leaf-spot resistance.
    for instance:
    http://www.sroseed.com/Files/Files/SRO_USA/Tech_Sheets/Turfgrass/Perennial_Ryegrass/SR_4650_ts.pdf

I am not sure if an overseeding with gray leaf resistant ryegrass would be a permanent solution. Sell the customer on an overseed plan. It would probably be wise to include Kentucky bluegrass, plus tall fescue or fine fescue at the same time. Do not sow any perennial rye that does not at least claim to be gray-leaf-spot resistant.

https://www.outsidepride.com/seed/grass-seed/osp-rye-grass-seed.html

hort101 likes this.
  5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

This disease in St Augustine thrives under conditions of high N. Do not care where the N comes from. N applied at high rates in proportion to P, K, and micronutrients tends to flare disease.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Bronze Member

In mid to late September 2018. Ohio was blasted with heavy rain for a few days and then the temps went into the high 90's along with extreme overnight humidity. This was the latest seasonal extreme conditions I had ever experienced as we typically think of September as a transition period into fall with cool overnight temps. One of my newly seeded lawns of TTTF and KBG was hit hard with GLS and I didn't recognize the symptoms as it is very uncommon in Northern Ohio. The lawn was seeded in early August. The damage showed up in late September then the weather became very cool. This was a difficult situation as reseeding was imperative. I also had to seed again in the following spring. Not being familiar with the severe outbreak, I new that it was something much different hitting this lawn. It's good to understand this disease.

https://www.turffiles.ncsu.edu/diseases-in-turf/gray-leaf-spot-in-turf/

hort101 and KerbDMK like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks man. I plan to change quite a bit this year coming up.

hort101 likes this.
  8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I just want to know where you’re living now that is warm enough to be a) worrying about fungus right now and b) calls February “late summer” I think I want to move there!

9. OP
    OP
    Marine03112

Marine03112 LawnSite Silver Member

Just getting a game plan together Ted. For the year upcoming.

hort101 likes this.
  10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Dammit
    You had my hopes up

Marine03112 and hort101 like this.