1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Grinding Reels and bed knife blades

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by shortgrass01, Jul 14, 2008.

1. shortgrass01

shortgrass01 LawnSite Member
    from SC

Was wondering if we had any folks here that grinds reels in there business. I gathering information on business exspectations and overall pro and cons of grinding reels.

Thank you!

Carolina Lawns

2. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

The last time I did reels, a set of 3 from a Locke, 30 inch units, at 55 dollars each unit was maybe 20 years ago. The only places I know of that use reels are mostly golf course these days. I do know of one home owner that has a putting green in his back yard, and he does his own machine, of course he can afford it :laugh:

I would hate to think what it would cost to sharpen a reel today. I know most of the dealers here in South Jersey and none of them do reels.

ericg likes this.
  3. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Use the search feature. Txgrassguy is probably the most knowledgeable here onsite about reels. It has been discussed quite a bit. You might also google Foley, they make the equipment for sharpening reels and have a very good tutorial on how it should be done. Not too many shops do it correctly. I pay about 80 per machine for 7 blade 25"-27" mowers.

4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Guy I used to work for got $5/inch.
    20" = $100.00.
    Good money for 1/2 worth of work.