Grippy tread for a turf tracer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Eco Land and Lawn Care, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Eco Land and Lawn Care

Eco Land and Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Turf Tracer X with stock 18x8.5-8 size
    Do they make a grippier tread than the "S" pattern that is safe on turf? Kenda and Carlisle both offer a 18x9-8 that is made for golf carts and it looks pretty knarly but I worry if it will tear up soft turf

2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Probably would get more responses in lawn mowing equipment forum
    @Ridin' Green has been running at 101s theres a thread on it too

Not sure what options you have in your sizeThumbs Up

Mumblingboutmowers and Walker56 like this.
  3. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 101s on my mower and it’s a lot heavier mower than the turf tracer. A skilled operator can use it with less damage than a useless turf tire. Would you rather bite and go and in some condition leave lug marks vs slide all over the place in most conditions?

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

After using the 101s on my Z, I am looking for something better for my standers as well. Sick of slipping, sliding, spinning on wet turf, dry turf, flat, hills, you name it.

5. flintknapper

flintknapper LawnSite Member

hort101, sjessen and Walker56 like this.
  6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I have those on my turf tracer and they are horrible compared to the OEM tire. I'd like to find something better but this is a used mower I picked up for just cutting my place.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

8. flintknapper

hort101 likes this.
  9. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

Those diamond tread tires are the worst tire I’ve ever had the displeasure of using. My experience with the traditional turf tires is they’re much better. They neither one hold a candle to the 101s.

10. flintknapper

Well we have to reconcile the differences in our experiences with them somehow then. Perhaps its the 'use'. And unless you used the EXACT same tire (not just something like it)...then it might be unfair to disparage them so.

There isn't really a perfect tire for ALL mowing situations. In my case...I have only to contend with a few steep hills, wet grass at times, occasional muddy spots and I don't want to tear up my lawn with anything more aggressive. Though I readily concede most turf damage can be avoided with judicial use of throttle, speed and turning sharpness (regardless tire choice).

IF 101's are the Cat's Meow for you.... great. For me the Deestones were (and remain) a significant improvement over what came on my mower.

Before...I would spin and become stuck in just the slightest bit of mud, slide down hills (wet or dry grass) etc....

All of that stopped when I made the switch. If they wouldn't work for you under the conditions you mow...OK, I get it. But to wholesale condemn them for the rest of us....well I don't know what to call that exactly. Maybe not very well presented, IDK. ?

sjessen likes this.