Lawn Care Forum banner

Grounds Guys Franchise

114K views 125 replies 65 participants last post by  SClawnanddesign 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone on here has bought into this & what you think about it.
My brother-in-law has been looking into it a little & asked me what I thought.

I know there are alot of guys on here that would never consider a franchise.

I want to hear from those of you that have first hand knowledge of this bunch.
Pros & Cons.

#4 ·
From my life experenceis I will say I wouldnt do it. They want 23k for nothing then Im sure they want you tpo purcahase trucks from them.

A Franchise in lawncare really serves no purpose,a fast food franchise might be worth something. No one knows suhshine gras cutters bit everyone knows McDonalds

#8 ·
From my life experenceis I will say I wouldnt do it. They want 23k for nothing then Im sure they want you tpo purcahase trucks from them.

A Franchise in lawncare really serves no purpose,a fast food franchise might be worth something. No one knows suhshine gras cutters bit everyone knows McDonalds
do you think mcdonalds started out with 1000's of stores right out of the gate?

#9 ·
Why pay someone $23,000 so you can mow lawns?

Are they going to give you customers?

Then as another poster said one franchiser wants $100,000.

For what?

If one has $100,000 they can buy a new 4wd pickup 1/2 or 3/4, trailer loaded with a 34" and 60" mowers, line trimmer, back pack blower, hedge trimmer, snow plow.

What's that franchiser giving us for $100,000?

#10 ·
I looked into them. I think that it would be a good opportunity for the right person. I spoke with a couple of guys who had the franchise and they had grown quite a bit and were quite happy with the franchise.

Yes, there is an upfront fee and your equipment has to be up to their standards. You might have to buy new trucks or that sort of thing.

It just wasn't for me. The reasons being that I pay my employees significantly higher than their model allows for. That would mean that I would have to likely start over in the employee department. I am also strongly committed to going cash only in my business and I was not ready to finance new equipment or finance the franchise fee.

Reactions: hort101
#13 ·
I think owning a mowing franchise is a great idea!

As a matter of fact, I just started one 10 minutes when I was on the can!

Here's what you do. Go out and buy $75k worth of equipment, trucks, and trailers. Now bleed, sweat, and advertise and get a whole bunch of clients.
Now, send me $75k and I'll send you a couple of truck door magnets and some letterhead.

Can't afford it? No problems, I have some ex-Lehman Brothers employees on speed dial who keep in touch Bernie Maddoff and we can set you up with a sub-prime mortgage broker who can get a loan at 5% but will probably end up at 10-20% when the smoke clears. The cost of doing business! No worries! Keep sending me $1k every month. You better do it, or I'll take my door magnets back.

If you ever run into any problems, I'll give you my nephews phone number, and he'll walk you thru anything you need. Bingo. Recipe for nothing but success.

Send your $100k to: Aaronnc dba Valleybrick-McGrounds USA

I've got some Nigerian e-mail address pyramid schemes also this week only 50% off!!!

#16 ·
You have to think for a moment. They have a system that small landscaping and lawn service companies could not afford the start up money gets you going right of the bat they a marketing and sales, a National brand image strategic Accounts, social media, operation Synergy Owner and employee sales and marketing training. I can keep going these are components that are worth millions you really need to look into it I am considering the franchise, it is very hard for some one to do sales and run the business at once and if you are smart enough you get people to do that for you.

#20 ·
Franchise's are just another scab on the industry plain and simple companies like this here in Canada will go to no extent to lie cheat and steal work from the private businesses we have had to threaten multitudes of the so called professionals with legal action over their practices they are known to follow our trucks around wait for you to leave then attempt to poach the job to conclude my little rant be careful when they are around their practices are very questionable and dangerous for companies like myself

#21 ·
Franchise's are just another scab on the industry plain and simple companies like this here in Canada will go to no extent to lie cheat and steal work from the private businesses we have had to threaten multitudes of the so called professionals with legal action over their practices they are known to follow our trucks around wait for you to leave then attempt to poach the job to conclude my little rant be careful when they are around their practices are very questionable and dangerous for companies like myself
Here's a plain and simple fact for you, if you had such practices going on with this company why didn't you call the corporate offices? I've not known any such things around here to back up your story!

#25 ·
With my experience in dealing with the Dwyer Group most of the people I have delt with have been very helpful and knowledgeable on any questions I have had... If you have a group following you and talking to customers after you leave that does not sound like the "usual" group of the Grounds Guys... It sounds like some dumb ass trying to milk your customer, but it does not sound like any of the people I have talked to with the Grounds Guys at all...

#26 ·
We'll it is good to hear that their not all a bunch of screw balls but which ever route you choose to go just rember your clients will always appreciate you more if you are honest with them than if you try to push unnessarry services on them your clients talk and word of mouth is always great advertising
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.