Grounds Guys Franchise

Discussion in 'Franchising' started by sharpcuts, Oct 26, 2011.

1. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Efficiency,

Not trying to "come against you" as I constantly look through threads to read what you have posted.

But...and this might be an "off" comparison being it's snow...but Neige on Plowsite owns a snow removal business where they were, I believe, initially a snow only business for just residential driveways. More recently they moved into commercial; but it served the company well for a lot of years! He took it over from his father...but residential is where they have been the most consistent. I think his residential base gross's over 800K in snow removal.

So yes; we're talking lawns vs snow...very different, still the same model, residential.

For my business; our residentials have been more consistent. But I'll defer to you sir; you've been in business longer than I...and again, I value your input.

2. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Believe it or not, Paul was at my shop 2 or 3 weeks ago. We talked and laughed over dinner too. Pretty sure we are going to be a dealer for him and Metal Plessis.

We do large snow numbers too.

But there are HUGE differences between the management of snow vs summer mowing work on a large scale for small accounts.

For Paul and driveway snow, the guys do their route and it's very binary - the work was done or not.

With mowing, you've got no prayer keeping thousands of mowing accounts happy. How many account managers would you need to maintain relationships with all mowing clients and do quality control on a monthly basis? Again, all of that isn't necessary for his snow accounts.

Why you need commercial accounts for maintenance? We picked up ~$200k of maintenance for one property manager last fall. One friend to keep, one point of contact, one boss to report to. Sure, if you can't meet expectations, you've got bug problems but if that's the case, you shouldnt be chasing this work.

Again, all this applied to employee ran crews. An owner on site changes all this.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

I can say this, last year, or a couple of years ago I saw a big giant enclosed trailerand decent truck decked out in "grounds guys" logo and thought to myself "oh no" because I've been on the site, and heard about these big giant franchises like grounds guys – Breckman – US lawns etc.… Taking over areas.

for a short period of time I saw them around and then all of a sudden I didn't see them anymore.
    The other day I gave an estimate to a lady with a real PITA place with everything dead, overgrown blackberries- bamboo- etc....
    I figured it would take 3 guys a full day plus hauling.
    She said the "Grounds guys" did it last time for $240! ( no wonder they're no longer around)

I found out it was a Latino family- just a guy his wife etc..

I wonder what assistance the corp. gives on pricing, advertising, etc....

4. RonWin

RonWin LawnSite Senior Member

I guess this is what happens when you cant make it on your own as a successful business owner. You pay someone lots of $ for "advice" and their companies logos to try and pose into the market.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
  5. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

LMAO :laugh: Yeah by looking at your previous posts and threads on here you seem to be a very positive guy who knows everything about the business:laugh:. With all those years of experience you have you might think about writing a book about how to start and run a sccessful lawncare company. :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

6. wbw

wbw LawnSite Fanatic

You should never buy any franchise that has more than one franchisee in any market. This is why McDonalds limits every city to just one location.

7. OneLineAtATime

OneLineAtATime LawnSite Member

Its a joke.. They called me for years. At the time i said no cause they don't offer any national advertising. Whats the point of a franchise. Now years later Grounds Guys showed up here. So i find out a 2nd franchise was sold in the same town. WTF? They sold franchises within 15 miles of each other.
    Last season i hired 3 different employees from the Grounds Guys,
    Its crazy over there. They talked a young guy into buying their franchise, no real business experience. The guy is falling apart. He hires sales guys, these guys go out and land huge grounds contracts at underbided prices so he makes his commission. They don't have the equipment or the capital. The owner keeps getting lines of credit for cash to throw back into the business..
    Were is the national Help??
    I gave up on those big contracts when Brickman came to town.
    I like my Landscape/Hardscape installs keeping profits high, down payments on job..

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

They do?

I know of 3 within less than 10 miles of each other.

9. klsgc

klsgc LawnSite Senior Member

The grounds guys around here contacted me to sub their lawn treatments to. I gave them pricing and all was fine. He sent me some accounts and said we had them for xx per app. It was literally half price. I said good luck finding someone for that. They were clueless.

10. Nunyabisnes

Nunyabisnes LawnSite Bronze Member

That has nothing to do with the franchise, it's the cheap franchisee. The local grounds guys subs out several accounts to us and we're far from cheap.

There's at least 8 McDonalds here in town and they're not all owned by the same franchisee. I think you're a little mistaken on your info.