Growing business pains

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bulliebullybull, Jul 20, 2019.

1. bulliebullybull

bulliebullybull LawnSite Member

Started off as a side gig now I’m expanding beyond my current lonesome capabilities. I need to hire and expand for large commercial contracts possibilities. Started off just doing odd lawn and excavation jobs. Did everything from putting up fences to mowing horse fields. I’m a nurse and respiratory therapist by trade. I need and love working outdoors though.

2. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Silver Member

Nice meeting you bulliebullybull, crazy name btw. Ive been doing this for a couple of years now and am loving it! Id say the biggest thing is, is before you get to big make sure your maximizing profits cutting off the fat as they say. Making sure you have a good customer base. Tons of great information on Lawn Site, hope your season goes well!

3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Read this forum before you dream big and give up a good career. Most of us dreamed big and loved being outside.

4. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Cam, you sound wise beyond your years. Thumbs Up Do you have plans for college?

MattZ28, Cam15 and Charles like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    bulliebullybull

Guess should have been more specific. Been doing healthcare for 25 years and getting burned out. Business has grown to point I have to decide if or not to take the gamble and invest my full time effort in to it. I’m bidding on large county jobs now and will not be able to do alone or part time. It will mean more investment money wise also. Guess I’m looking at it as my red zone retirement plan. Do what I enjoy for another 10-15 years and bail.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    bulliebullybull

I have learned a lot about pricing on the net and tbh it’s tough even with average prices you see to do it. Always more afraid to under bid and be stuck in a bad contract then over bid. Started out selling myself short but got me good word to mouth because I was so inexpensive. Now I’m so busy I price high sometimes to deter the prospect. If they take the price then it’s good money if not then oh well. My attitude may change when I don’t have another full time job.

Cam15 likes this.
  7. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Silver Member

No not yet. I'm going to trade school this year for landscaping. So if I ever wanted to go work for someone else I'd basically be hired instantly. Not sure if I wanna go to college.

RussellB likes this.
  8. m_ice

m_ice LawnSite Member
    from IL

If you have a nest egg from that 25 years in healthcare and your health is good I would say go for it full time. However if I was in your boat I would stay solo, maybe 1 employee to work with me and I would find 1 area of concentration whether it be maintenance, landscaping, etc.

Mark Oomkes and Cam15 like this.
  9. South Hills Lawns

South Hills Lawns LawnSite Member

Where at in SW pa are you? I'm in Pittsburgh.

Sounds like you have good pains.

I would keep your day job and mow on the side.

10. OP
    OP
    bulliebullybull

South of Washington pa. Grass grows like crazy this corner of the planet and that lol

South Hills Lawns likes this.