Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can only imagine myself trying to cut as many properties as possible in advance of Gustav! The grass in the TV pictures already looks lush so I feel for the coastal lawn business' trying to service what they can and pack up their equipment and get out of harms way. In another thread I wished for the moisture from the remnants of these hurricanes to come our way as the natural order of things . Hurricanes and tropical storms are NOT new! I remember sitting at the bar watching the weather channel the day before Katrina and hearing the mayor and the gov. speak and NOT Making their people get out.2 days before Katrina hit the radar picture covered the entire gulf of Mexico. I would have walked out seeing that picture but they waited until the last minute . I was sitting at the bar last night watching the same circumstance reveal itself and thank God people are haulin' a$$ this time. The tragedy of Katrina is what it took for people to wake up. I do hope this is not as devastating as it looks on my computer screen and the TV. I'm willing to bet there are many savvy lawn people who saw this coming and started their plan of action many days ago. Advance cutting and moving equipment and people to higher ground would be my mode. Katrina's devastation was worsened by complacency and lack of State and local leaderships ability to compel its people to get the f^%$ out. They are getting out this time. I say a prayer for all the folks along the gulf coast and mostly I pray for people to take action for themselves and not be dependent on Gov to take care of them. Good luck in the coming days to all in that area!!!

·
Registered
15,225 Posts
I can only imagine what the entire region is going through. I've been through an evacuation or two in my time but it was nothing like what they're going through.

We're keeping a very close eye on Hanna here. There is only about 30 miles between us and the ocean here in NC and we do get prepared. I'm pulling out the generator later today and making sure it's ready to go.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RM , from my knowledge of you on this site your a forward thinker!!! waiting until the last minute is costly in $$ and possibly in life. There are several other tropical waves comming of Africa and having some kind of plan of your own is well, just, "American ", IMO . How many people will be suprised by the high cost of gas next week and be whining to the GOV to do something about the greedy oil companies . All the while not channeling all that anger towards a congress that takes a vacation during an energy crisis. Hell some will even vote for a new Government that wants to raise the gas tax to reduce consumption and tax us to pay for some new technology yet to be revealed. The oil rigs in the gulf have been evacuated and that will reduce supply.Just like Katrina. It is just the same forward thinking that RM exhibits that would put a few eggs in another basket and drill in other areas.

·
Banned
7,474 Posts
Fire that generator up and make sure it runs. A buddy has one and he waited till the last minute and sure enough, it wouldn't stay running. He was scrambling to dump the old gas out and put some fresh in since it was pouring down rain at that point. LOL

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the ethanol in gas these days makes stabil fuel stabalizer obsolete if you ask me. It took 2 days of soaking in acetone and carb cleaner to get the varnish and gum out of my 4 wheelers carb. I put in fuel stabilizer and it failed. I periodically start my lawn equipment through the winter but not always my 4 wheeler. Our drought and some time off has got me fixing a few things I usually take care of in the winter.

·
Registered
387 Posts
They are calling for what's left of Hurricane Hanna to possibly come our way Friday and Saturday, bringing tropical down pours (According to DC's channel 4).
You may want to get a jump start on some of your own lawns!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
although my lawns got about .6 " rain wed to fri. they are just comming back from the brown out. A second round of rain would be welcome as I start to advertise aeration and seeding. I did notice on the extensive tv coverage that the many commercial properties in the background have lush green grass and have been recently mowed. I can only imagine myself planning and communicating with my people to first check on their safety and second property in the hopes of getting back to work. I would assume the cleanup effort would be enormous. Those that plan well and excecute will recover rapidly. 5 days and those properties that survive will be 1ft tall when the sun does come out. Just a different scenario than we experience on the east coast in a regular year. we do occasionally get storms but they are rare and not part of regular planning as those on the gulf coast I suspect.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
They are calling for what's left of Hurricane Hanna to possibly come our way Friday and Saturday, bringing tropical down pours (According to DC's channel 4).
You may want to get a jump start on some of your own lawns!
Man I hope so, is it as dry in MD as it is in Delaware? We have had no rain in Kent/Sussex in weeks, and everythings dormant. I mowed about 30% of what I normally would this week.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
i got all my yards cut by last wednesday!
ive been on duty with the firedept since Wed nite.

storm is hitting full force right now(gotta love wireless internet)

will post up pics after Search and rescue missions are over!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.