1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Gutter drain lines question?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Whitaker24, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Whitaker24

Whitaker24 LawnSite Member

Looking to install another catch box and drain line from a gutter to move water away a lot better than just the gutter. Is it better to run it straight out or ok to bend the line? If I go straight out it will be about 72ft of line I will have to install before I get an outlet. It might be 20 ft shorter is I can curve to a closer outlet. Any other ideas that I can use to create an outlet for the water?

2. FIMCO-MEISTER

FIMCO-MEISTER Banned

What kind of slope? If you think you might ever have to run a snake into that thing you better keep it straight. I personally prefer straight but its not an absolute either.

3. Whitaker24

I would prefer straight myself that why i measured it at 72. What type of rental equip will dig the trench for me? I can use the shovel but dont know if I want to dip 72ft worth of it.

4. FIMCO-MEISTER

FIMCO-MEISTER Banned

I'm big on shovel digging drains because you can manage the slope better and keep the bottom firm and packed. If you do trench I'd get a walk behind unless you a very familiar with riding for safety reasons. You'll still need to do some clean out and backfill. Whatever the trencher does for you digging it makes backfilling a bigger job. Check craigslist and see if you can't find a couple of diggers and backfillers.

5. Whitaker24

Father in law has a tractor and blade that I think could be used for backfilling but getting him to do it another story.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If it isn't clay soil, buy a mattock and a drain spade and some tarps and have at it.

7. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly.....72' is not long.

8. NCGreenWorx

NCGreenWorx LawnSite Member

you can bend the line if you want/need too. Keep your bends less than 45 degrees and your slope grater than 1/8" per foot and you won't have any trouble. If you are concerned about the turns you could install PVC Sch 40 45degree elbows and a snake would make the turn easily

9. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

A snake should easily go through a serpentine drain pipe.

10. Whitaker24

Put the dirt on the tarps from the trench?