Guys and their *pop-ups*

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by DVS Hardscaper, Feb 8, 2009.

1. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

I imagine your intro going something like this, the most electrifying man in hardscape entertainment
    http://youtu.be/6eVMw5DpT9I
    And ending the sales pitch with "If you smell what DVS is cookin"

2. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Oh my gosh! I was dying laughing watching that video and re-living high-school wrestling parties! "DVS says, Shut your dam% mouth!"

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

It's that time of year again when I do my annual addressing of this important topic!

kawasaki guy likes this.
  4. Lawnguy512

Lawnguy512 LawnSite Member

FWIW, I installed a pop up emitter at the end of a downspout run and last I checked it was a-ok. *knock on wood* It's going on 4 yrs now and it seems to be operating well. I did this because daylighting the pipe wasn't an option with the HOA..

A few things to note.. There is a good grade on the sch40 4" pipe. It's a good 10' away from the hardscape surface it goes underneath, and if it ever does crack towards the end due to being frozen, it's not the end of the world. I did dig a hole a few feet deep, lined it with filter fabric, filled it with rocks, and set the end of the sch40 run on a T, with the top going to a pop up emitter. I have watched it over the course of different seasons and it works as expected. Because there's a decent grade on the pipe, I've never had a problem with the pop up not opening (as there's a fair bit of pressure). I've checked it during winter conditions and it seems to operate as you'd expect. I checked it before and after snowfall and didn't find any standing water in the pipe. I do have to clean it out at least once a year (just involves removing the pop up emitter and cleaning debris sitting on the rocks), but I don't consider that to be a huge deal.

Daylighting pipe is obviously the preferred choice, but sometimes if it's not possible I don't think a pop up emitter is the worst thing since sliced bread either..