1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

H2B visa applications 2007

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Precision, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Just wondering if anyone else has gotten anywhere with theirs. New applications that is, not on returning workers.

I put in for the first round and was shut out. All first half visa quotas were filled within the first few days of filings.

So I filed for the second slot. I received my notification of all things being good, but needing to wait on the "official" certification (which should take 3-4 weeks). that was 8 weeks ago. I have called their help desk line. And the only thing you get is an automated voice system that says, "leave a message and we will call you back in 3-4 days". No such luck.

In theory, second slot visas are available the first week of April. I am really beginning to worry that I may get completely shut out.

Anyone with any knowledge about what is going on or who has received their "official" certification on round 2?

2. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Just drive south and pick up workers around Laredo Texas. Deduct any expenses, like gas, food, hotel bills from future earnings. :dancing:

3. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

Percision, I was in the same boat last year. Missed the first slot...promised by April 1. April 1 came and went. I scrounged up some labor and went on with life. One hot day in the middle of June or July they called up "your guys are ready"......

Too late. I was not going to rid of my current labor to train new.

I know this doesn't answer the question, but just a similar experience. I hope it is smoother for you.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I don't know but the labor is short here and I will be turning away work soon.

I think I am getting in line early next year.

5. z_clark

Dukester,

Did you apply for H2B Visas this year?

If so, who did you use for help?

Thanks.

6. Precision

Thanks, (for the reply, not the news)

I will be swamped or knee deep in dead former employees by then. ;)

I went through 20 yes TWENTY bozo's last year trying to fill 2 positions. Average life span was 3 weeks. And one guy crapped in a clients back yard. Yes, you heard me.

I just can't handle another season of that.

7. Precision

but at least this you have could of had the returning ones this year.

I am using Marcus Drake.

8. Precision

the concept is to make as much profit as legally possible. Thus no lowballing and no illegal workers.

Key word LEGALLY. Running illegals does not require a trip to Laredo. I can get as many of them as I want.

Besides, get a map, south of Florida, is CUBA. Laredo is WEST.

9. z_clark

Percision,

M.D. is who I used as well. I am not sure how well the returning workers work year after year....just too big of a risk.

I know of another local guy that used M.D. this year, and had the same timing issues.

Not sure where the problem is....the program / the paper work / gov issues.....I think the program is broken....

10. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Anyone try getting labor from hill country... West Virginia?