• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Had a Laugh this morning!

Mack77

LawnSite Member
Location
NJ
I wake up and walk to my car this morning, and just as i'm about to get in, I hear this loud, scraping noise comming closer, and closer...

Then all of a sudden I see this big white "ChemLawn" truck speed by with his steel trailer drop ramp DOWN, and GRINDING the pavement as it passes. If the noise wasn't bad enough, every time the open ramp hit a bump or rock in the road, sparks would fly!!

I just stood there and watched this guy fly by with an open trailer ramp in amazement! :laugh: :laugh:
 

PurpHaze

LawnSite Fanatic
Location
Visalia, CA
Mack77 said:
I wake up and walk to my car this morning, and just as i'm about to get in, I hear this loud, scraping noise comming closer, and closer...

Then all of a sudden I see this big white "ChemLawn" truck speed by with his steel trailer drop ramp DOWN, and GRINDING the pavement as it passes. If the noise wasn't bad enough, every time the open ramp hit a bump or rock in the road, sparks would fly!!

I just stood there and watched this guy fly by with an open trailer ramp in amazement! :laugh: :laugh:
Maybe he was trying to level the street so you could get a smoother ride? :p
 

GFTC

LawnSite Member
Location
Kansas City
That is funny. What's even funnier is that I did the exact same thing when I first got my trailer. Drove all the way to my first account like that ( about 3 miles). Whoops :blush:
 

LawnBrother

LawnSite Senior Member
Location
SW Ohio
That guy had to have been either deaf, or he noticed and said to himself, "oh well, its not my truck and trailer."
Yeah really....I can't understand how anyone cannot notice that. I pulled away from an account once with my ramp down and I got only about 20 feet before I realized what I had done. It was soooo loud, that guy had to have been deaf, or maybe he was trying to get fired!
 

GFTC

LawnSite Member
Location
Kansas City
I drive a diesel, windows were up, and AC crankin, so I didn't hear mine. I tell you what though, that's one thing you only do once.:dizzy:
 

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
GFTC said:
I drive a diesel, windows were up, and AC crankin, so I didn't hear mine. I tell you what though, that's one thing you only do once.:dizzy:
LOL yes, but at LEAST once :)

I've done it a few times, never get more than a few feet and I know immediately what the deal is... Now one thing is I always drive real easy, so the trailer gate creates drag, right away I know something is wrong, nevermind the noise...
But when I was new, yes I can honestly say I am glad I never drove TOO far with it down.

About the only other thing worthy of mention is the time I drove over my backpack blower with the trailer.
 

MOW ED

LawnSite Fanatic
Location
N.E. Wisconsin
He must have forgot to raise it after he leveled out his last lawn. They will probably bill the homeowner for that too.
 

PurpHaze

LawnSite Fanatic
Location
Visalia, CA
topsites said:
LOL yes, but at LEAST once :)

I've done it a few times, never get more than a few feet and I know immediately what the deal is... Now one thing is I always drive real easy, so the trailer gate creates drag, right away I know something is wrong, nevermind the noise...
But when I was new, yes I can honestly say I am glad I never drove TOO far with it down.

About the only other thing worthy of mention is the time I drove over my backpack blower with the trailer.
I work irrigation for a school district and pull a 25' trailer when we're involved with installs/repairs that require trencher and other special equipment. Since I don't take this trailer out on a daily basis I too sometimes forget that the gate is down. Got to the point that I place an orange traffic cone at the end of the trailer on the driver's side so it is clearly visible in my rear view mirror. Reminds me to double check the rear of the trailer for obstructions and "gate down syndrome." Learned this from some gas company guys who put out cones each and every time they stop regardless what type of rig they are in. Forces them to walk completely around their vehicle checking for obstructions before leaving.
 
Top