Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering if anyone here does half mowings when the situation calls for it. We have had no rain here for a long time, recently i had to switch to bi-weekly mowing because of the drought, but now nothing is even growing after 2 weeks. However some of my accounts are partially growing, for example the one customers front yard is brown as can be, but the back is all shaded and needed cut after the 2 weeks, so i did it, but not at full price. Also some places i have showed up to i did the trimming and edging because it needed it, but the lawn didnt need cut. I wouldn't feel right mowing the whole thing and charging the customer for work that doesnt need done, it is also a waste of my fuel and time.

·
Banned
106 Posts
i have actually found a way to make this scenerio very VERY profitable. let me ask you, is this common in your area of the country? do u suffer conditions so bad that u have to skip mowings, every year, or almost every year? i came up with a plan a few yrs back to accomade this situation as well as accomodate those clients who desire "every other week" service because rightfully so, thier lawn doesn't grow. but, i get them to sign up for weekly service. i'm amazing you say? of course i is. so tell , are skipping cuts a common concern for you where u live?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is this common in your area of the country? do u suffer conditions so bad that u have to skip mowings, every year, or almost every year?QUOTE]

This is something that seems to happen almost every year, in late july and/or august.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
We charge flat rate. monthly bill. If all I do in say Feburary is blow off the drive and side walk its still the same as when I service that same account in july 4 times.

Why would you charge less? Thats when things start getting complex as to when you came and what part of the yard you cut.

You guys sure do things different up north:dizzy:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as far as having a set monthly bill, i feel that it is a matter of the market for the work in your area. some customers like it some dont. i know that if i went to a set montly bill i would be getting complants from customers wondering why they are paying me for work i am not doing (drought season)

·
Registered
958 Posts
just wondering if anyone here does half mowings when the situation calls for it. We have had no rain here for a long time, recently i had to switch to bi-weekly mowing because of the drought, but now nothing is even growing after 2 weeks. However some of my accounts are partially growing, for example the one customers front yard is brown as can be, but the back is all shaded and needed cut after the 2 weeks, so i did it, but not at full price. Also some places i have showed up to i did the trimming and edging because it needed it, but the lawn didnt need cut. I wouldn't feel right mowing the whole thing and charging the customer for work that doesnt need done, it is also a waste of my fuel and time.
Now, call me old fashioned, but if you've made the call then they should pay the normal price. You still have your travelling and fuel costs. I'm sure, like most of us here, there have been times when you have done a bit extra at a job and not charged them. When it's wet and it takes longer do they offer you more for the job?
Head up and charge normal rate.
atb Phil:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
We charge flat rate. monthly bill. If all I do in say Feburary is blow off the drive and side walk its still the same as when I service that same account in july 4 times.

Why would you charge less? Thats when things start getting complex as to when you came and what part of the yard you cut.

You guys sure do things different up north:dizzy:
That's how I do it too. Never a complaint. Costumers like it because they know what the bill will be each month. I like it because my income doesn't change come January.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think all of this should of been discussed with the customer before the situation arose, by going over the contract, explaining the contract and how the service works. Saves trouble down the road. Brian///

·
Registered
330 Posts
If I have to show up they are going to pay for it, drought or no drought. My bills don't go away because of a drought, and I don't charge extra when it rains.

I am interested in the great bobby's answer

·
Registered
358 Posts
This same issue has been on my mind the past week.
Been doing sub work for a guy and I would say 75% of his accounts that I have serviced (70) in the past week fall in to the "no cut" category.
I'm making token appearances and trying to find anything to do @ the locations to justify any billing they are getting. I drive away feeling like I'm ripping them off as I have no clue what his arrangements are with his clients.

(1) property of over a acre, estimated $700,000 house with irrigation running daily is the only green I've seen.
This agreement he sends me in there with (2) 21" units to a property that is set up Bi-Weekly cut to 4" and the height was almost 8" when I arrived yesterday.
To top that off it you must bag the clippings.
Craziest thing I've ever witnessed. Told him in two weeks he can waste his own time and trash his own 21" mowers with such a foolish service arrangement.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Now, call me old fashioned, but if you've made the call then they should pay the normal price. You still have your travelling and fuel costs. I'm sure, like most of us here, there have been times when you have done a bit extra at a job and not charged them. When it's wet and it takes longer do they offer you more for the job?
Head up and charge normal rate.
atb Phil:)
I agree! I've never mowed a half lawn and charged half rate too much of a pita for me.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I drive away feeling like I'm ripping them off as I have no clue what his arrangements are with his clients.
Do you feel like you are getting ripped off in April when there is weeks of rain after the customers lawn was fertilized, and it takes 2-3x as long to cut the grass but you still charge the same amount.

It all evens out in the end. You may have to bring this to the customers attention if there are complaints. Most will understand others well to hell with them anyway.

·
Banned
2,420 Posts
I am going to do some "half mowing" tomorrow. I charge for actual work performed.
I have one customer that I do that for regularly. They'd doubled the size of their lawn and the new areas just won't grow as fast as the older established lawn.

I mow when the grass grows to 4". Then I cut it back to 3".

I give a little groan when I read people's posts about weekly/bi-weekly mowing. If I did that in the spring I'd go broke! April thru June it's usually a 5 day schedule.
If I mowed a "weekly" schedule they'd hire me for the spring then fire me.
I'd be fired if they caught me mowing dead grass too.

I don't apply this to just the big lawns either. Nobody wants to feel like their getting screwed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.