1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Half rate blend of gly and broadleaf product

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by BrendonTW, Dec 7, 2017.

1. BrendonTW

BrendonTW LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma City

For our dormant season blanket weed control app glysophate alone is what we typically do but it seems slow on broadleaf when the temps are in the 40's, and it won't kill the entire plant if the plant is large. We're in the south with bermuda.

I'm wanting to know if we can go .75oz/thousand and .75oz/thousand with a gly product and a three-way type product and still get an effective kill on everything. If not - what would be an acceptable blend, or do we just need to go full rate on both products to get proper kill? I didn't know if we could cut down on rate on either or both, and they would "help" each other get an effective kill and get a more broad range? Since they are different modes of action, I didn't know if this would work. Of course I understand the three-way type product won't have any effect on poa or misfit fescue, but I believe that gly will work alone at the lower rate, just will take a bit longer. I would even do full rate gly because of the low price-point, but would like to try lowering the three-way rate if possible.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Try it and let us know. Try half-strength gly, half-strength 3-way and gly plus three-way--both half-strength. Use hand sprayers--applying one on top of the other. You are mainly talking about winter annuals and the very early spring weeds that arise in spring when the temps hit about 60, right? What weeds?
    Bermuda only, right? Zoysia--is it OK?

An important problem is that 2,4-D is now limited to twice per year. If you use it now and again in spring, you cannot use it again in late summer or fall.

3. BrendonTW

Male, from Oklahoma City

We wouldn't use this blend on zoysia.

4. AGRinATX

AGRinATX LawnSite Member

Using below label rate breeds herbicide resistance. I wouldn’t do it.

5. BrendonTW

Male, from Oklahoma City

Didn't think about that.