Lawn Care Forum banner
3,281 - 3,300 of 4,156 Posts
I would think the gas company first for two reasons. 1. The gas riser looks like a poly sweep, which I don't think is that old and the valve looks like an older model. 2. I find that utility company's have an attitude where their work is more important than anyone else's so they will not make any adjustments to work around existing things. They will rip it out or go over it
We like to say, gas goes first. Gas and electric are life-threatening if hit, the rest an inconvenience.
You're right, each utility thinks their stuff is more important and will screw everyone else up getting their stuff in. Irrigation is and always has been the red-headed stepchild of the construction industry.

We like to say, gas goes first. Gas and electric are life-threatening if hit, the rest an inconvenience.
You're right, each utility thinks their stuff is more important and will screw everyone else up getting their stuff in. Irrigation is and always has been the red-headed stepchild of the construction industry.
+1 on that.
I had to explain that to a customer a while back when they had a new septic and aerobic system put in. Tore the irrigation system all to pieces. Wound up being a 20 hour repair.

+1 on that.
I had to explain that to a customer a while back when they had a new septic and aerobic system put in. Tore the irrigation system all to pieces. Wound up being a 20 hour repair.
Or when the HO builds a whole new BUILDING and never considers the sprinkler system, then is shocked at what it's gonna take to make it right. True story, man pours a concrete carport over main line and 2 valves. Line breaks/leaks and rerouting costs over $600 what might have been a $100 repair and heck I gave him a break.

Pipeline transport Pollution Grass Plumbing Gas

The old sale on 90's

That's the main coming in from the left, all the 3/4" 90's feed the valve at the top which supplies a good size rotor zone. I guess you can get away with a lot of stuff that's not "right".

Side note; the reason I was here was the 1" swinger 90's had came unglued, ran across more unglued fittings at another site thus guy did, from what I see he doesn't bother with primer

"Job Security"
He's provided me with a lot of biz over the years. This year he officially quit from what I'm told. In past years I would pick up some every year claiming "he put it in but won't come back to fix anything".

The installer must have had a hangover the day 'friction loss' was discussed in class.
Friction loss, gpm, static, dynamic, he would prob say what the fck it that and it doesn't matter since I've done dozens of systems like this. And he has. I'll bet you $200 he doesn't own a pressure gauge

He's provided me with a lot of biz over the years.
I think I posted about the same kind of guy that got me so much work, I sent him a ham every year for Christmas. No return address. I just remembered another landscaper that I got a lot of work from who once said (not knowing I took over all his sites), "Oh ya, we do irrigation, not a good as you do, but I believe in keeping it simple." :wall

Took these the others day. An old lady flagged me down while I was pulling out of her neighbors house. She said her last guy got sick and could work for her anymore. I got her up and going but I think I might come down with something too if she calls me back.

View attachment 366717 View attachment 366718
So do the hose bibs feed the sprinkler with a booster pump? Just wondering. Good thing is it's gonna be easy to work on the valves, no digging or roots. Heck I kinda like it, though I wouldn't put my name on it

Took these the others day. An old lady flagged me down while I was pulling out of her neighbors house. She said her last guy got sick and could work for her anymore. I got her up and going but I think I might come down with something too if she calls me back.

View attachment 366717 View attachment 366718
"All backflow protection shall adhere to strictest Suffock County requirements." :p

They are actually 2 separate systems. The above ground manafold does the sprinkler zones and the hose bib system does the drip. As far as backflow I think we are in the clear, the hose bibs are fed from the houses old well which is now separate from the house water now that they have county water.

The valves are at at grade level, right? I guess they thought heads go at that height so why not valves.

No boxes, hate it when they do that or more correctly don't do that. There's a member on here that claims he's always gone boxless but I won't name names.
There was a company here that never used boxes thinking that if no one else could see the valves no one else could service the customer. One 521 later...

Reactions: Crimson Lawn
3,281 - 3,300 of 4,156 Posts