Lawn Care Forum banner
3,601 - 3,620 of 4,156 Posts
Yea, hard to tell but they don't look like nozzles.

View attachment 375825
Again, hard to tell but in person they appeared to be shrub adapters with nozzles on them.
I doubt it had anything to do with aerial clearance lights as they were within 15 yards of a building which was taller than any of the trees.

Based on the size of pipe I think they are too small to be a PGP but rather maybe a shrub adapter with a fixed spray nozzle. What is the contraption that the nozzle is attached to though? Looks like it comes out of the ground attached to where a tree bubbler would go?

Nice job agrostis. Help us out. What's it for?

I, like the poster of the pic, figured: Something dumb or, my guess was weather station or camera with a PVC conduit used also as a pole support.

Hope to read your story. Someone link me if I missed it.

What IS out of phase?
Out of phase is when you have multiple transformers supplying multiple controllers and those controllers are sharing the same common wire going out to the valves. Think of polarized plugs on most appliances and then note that transformers are not polarized as they are capacitors. When supply from those transformers are "crossed" when attached to the power terminals and a common wire is linked between the controllers a voltage spike can occur to the solenoid. It can be found with a volt meter when testing the output and a simple reversal of the the two wires from the transformer is needed.

Regardless it is never a good idea to share commons between controllers though it is done all the time, especially when cheaping out by using one Rain Sensor for two or more controllers.

Another no-no that some do is wiring one MV to two or more controllers.

Out of phase is when you have multiple transformers supplying multiple controllers and those controllers are sharing the same common wire going out to the valves. Think of polarized plugs on most appliances and then note that transformers are not polarized as they are capacitors. When supply from those transformers are "crossed" when attached to the power terminals and a common wire is linked between the controllers a voltage spike can occur to the solenoid. It can be found with a volt meter when testing the output and a simple reversal of the the two wires from the transformer is needed.

Regardless it is never a good idea to share commons between controllers though it is done all the time, especially when cheaping out by using one Rain Sensor for two or more controllers.

trying to see this in my mind's eye

so it would be like trying to have 10 electrons and 5 nutrons, an unbalanced circle, or something like that?

EDIT: dang like the green biz is one to pay attention to proven again.

It can be found with a volt meter when testing the output and a simple reversal of the the two wires from the transformer is needed.
Can you help me imagine this in my mind, a case example please. or a PM tho that sounds selfish (i dont mean to go on a tangent in the hack thread, though this thread could use something nice :)

Very interesting speaker, carry on please i and im sure many others are all ears.

The pipe? It's irrigation of some sort. They water the snot out of those trees before they move them and for up to three years after.

Check out some of the pics on this site. The size of tree's they are moving now is just amazing.

http://www.treemover.com/
Davey does some big stuff. They did a job here at a subdivision. They installed something like 300-400 12" caliper London plain trees. Their method of digging big trees is pretty interesting, they drive steel pipe under the ball one at a time then weld them together to make a frame that they can lift the tree by. You can see the pipes in one of the pics on their site.

trying to see this in my mind's eye

so it would be like trying to have 10 electrons and 5 nutrons, an unbalanced circle, or something like that?

EDIT: dang like the green biz is one to pay attention to proven again.

Can you help me imagine this in my mind, a case example please. or a PM tho that sounds selfish (i dont mean to go on a tangent in the hack thread, though this thread could use something nice :)

Very interesting speaker, carry on please i and im sure many others are all ears.
Note the diagram below-the transformers are incorrectly phased as the transformer's commons and hots are mixed opposing each other. When the common is then shared across the two controllers (such as installing a single rain sensor for both timers or a common wire jumper between them) you will get a voltage spike in the upper 50s when metering one side of the circuit and conversely in the low single digits when metering the other side.
Rectangle Font Parallel Symmetry Slope

Too ensure the two transformers are phased correctly (in phase) all you need do is reverse the hot and neutral wires on one controller's 24 volt input terminals.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Symmetry

Seems simple enough right? But being pros we all know the easiest way to never have to deal with this is to never share commons and never share one MV between two controllers. If you encounter this on a new service account your best solution may be to first reverse the hot/neutral 24 volt input on one of the controllers and then to run a common only to the valves controlled by each controller and to install a MV in parallel to each other thus separating the MVs from a common circuit.

The first time I ran into this was 40 odd years ago at a swim club with two 11 zone Batrows and one MV. I didn't have a clue what the issue was. To get the system to work I installed two relays on the two MV outputs with separate transformers powering the MVs (which fortunately and only by chance I wired them in phase) and removed the common jumper. I should have installed another MV in paralleI but my solution worked and I basked in the glory of the manager's congrats! I just hoped the programs never overlapped!

I only saw this a few times after but there are plenty of these bogus wiring jobs out there. Keep your eye on the lookout for this problem.

Note the diagram below-the transformers are incorrectly phased as the transformer's commons and hots are mixed opposing each other. When the common is then shared across the two controllers (such as installing a single rain sensor for both timers or a common wire jumper between them) you will get a voltage spike in the upper 50s when metering one side of the circuit and conversely in the low single digits when metering the other side. View attachment 376052
Too ensure the two transformers are phased correctly (in phase) all you need do is reverse the hot and neutral wires on one controller's 24 volt input terminals.

View attachment 376058

Seems simple enough right? But being pros we all know the easiest way to never have to deal with this is to never share commons and never share one MV between two controllers. If you encounter this on a new service account your best solution may be to first reverse the hot/neutral 24 volt input on one of the controllers and then to run a common only to the valves controlled by each controller and to install a MV in parallel to each other thus separating the MVs from a common circuit.

The first time I ran into this was 40 odd years ago at a swim club with two 11 zone Batrows and one MV. I didn't have a clue what the issue was. To get the system to work I installed two relays on the two MV outputs with separate transformers powering the MVs (which fortunately and only by chance I wired them in phase) and removed the common jumper. I should have installed another MV in paralleI but my solution worked and I basked in the glory of the manager's congrats! I just hoped the programs never overlapped!

I only saw this a few times after but there are plenty of these bogus wiring jobs out there. Keep your eye on the lookout for this problem.
i really wish i spoke more "electricity"
Im not sure what some of that language is but I know a guy named James a couple miles to the west that i can b other about it. He needs something to complain about anyway lately,

i guess for now ill just not share the common, I would only play ball if the proposal to consolidate the system into one (proper) controller was understood and accepted, but it is very important to know this stuff for diagnostic purposes so thank you thank you thank you.

Also to GM and agros, that tree pipe weld idea is genious i guess texans do migrate north after all. Thaks for the share.

What are yall up to lately? :popcorn: (as in, everyone )

I would only play ball if the proposal to consolidate the system into one (proper) controller was understood and accepted
Amen to that. Since today's controllers run way up in zone counts it makes sense to simply upgrade away from multiples.

What are yall up to lately?
Out in the yard with the crew loading trucks and getting ready to crank. Still 4-8 inches of solid water piled everywhere but I hope to do many controller upgrades in the next week just to get ahead of the curve. Then on to the meat of the matter-and I don't mean chowing on Arbys!

It's nigh-on impossible to avoid that, as well as sharing commons, especially since I wanted a clock for turf and another for plantings.The clock that gave me all the above, plus overlap protection, was made by:
www.rainmaster.com Without them, I could not have pulled off what I did.

Circuit component Passive circuit component Hardware programmer Electrical wiring Electricity

I read this yesterday morning.

Yesterday afternoon I replaced a lake pump - one of our techs effed up #1 - Installed a flush filter backwards which burnt up the pump and #2 installed a controller dedicated for this flush filter (Instead of running wire to the main system) yet never wired it into the relay.

I replaced the pump , wired the controller into the relay and tested new pump install. This post reminded me about the electrical no-no's in this situation. I mentioned to the customer to NEVER have overlapping times between the two controllers

3,601 - 3,620 of 4,156 Posts