Lawn Care Forum banner
741 - 760 of 4,156 Posts
Heres a pic I took while doing work on a clients house last week.Why have a valve box if you are going to bury valves and wires with dirt? :confused:
That box was probably filled by rodents - gophers, moles, voles, etc. They do it all the time. I just can't figure out how they get the valve box cover off............

I have lots of problems with squirrels chewing trough vb covers to eat the wires off the solenoid(s). There are a couple of sites where I replace 2 - 3 vb covers a year to stay ahead of them.

I have lots of problems with squirrels chewing trough vb covers to eat the wires off the solenoid(s). There are a couple of sites where I replace 2 - 3 vb covers a year to stay ahead of them.
I've seen that too. I've also seen them sharpen their teeth on 1804s and a few other plastic popups including nozzles a few times.

Moles don't give many problems other than follow my nice water-backfilled trenches and deposit the "spoils" in the valve boxes. It's beautiful soil, and I don't think they've ever chewed my wires. Don't pick up a young mole that you think you're going to help out of the box, by the way. My thumb still hurts! :cry:

741 - 760 of 4,156 Posts