1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Hand controls vs. foot controls

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by frankmd73, Aug 13, 2006.

1. frankmd73

frankmd73 LawnSite Member

Looking @ purchasing a used bobcat. The machine i am interested in has hand controls(2000 775). Just wanted to know the ups and downs..

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

773?? I have a 2001 773 with foot controls and a 262 Cat with pilot controls. I personally like the Cat better. I am selling the 773 if interested. :)

3. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I like the foot controls, hands have enough to do with throttle, motion, I've only run a few hand operated mustangs and felt that controls overlapped unless you were very precise.

4. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

had a new hollad ls170 with foot controls, then upgraded to a 248 cat with the pilot controls and i wouldn't trade them for the world. foot controls are good if your trying to tone up your calves and thats about it....

5. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Growing up and running a New Holland since lord knows how old I didnt know any other way then foot controls. Once I got in a Cat it wasnt long before I saw the light. After running a machine for 8+ hours the foot controlls really wear me out were as the pilot controlls take alot less of a toll.

6. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

We have a Bobcat 863 with fully electronic controls (would not recommend). You have a switch that lets you choose the foot controls or the pilot controls. I can't hardly function with the foot after using the pilot controls. I spent years on dozers and pedal loaders but once I got used to the pilot controls, I can't even force myself to use the foot ones. I think the time on an excavator may be a factor. I have an operator who can only use the foot controls though. It is just a matter of what you get used to, and you will get used to what you have. I have just found that pilot controls consolidates everything to one location and I can move my feet/stretch out my legs to get comfortable.

I wouldn't shy away from buying either control set as a single deciding point, but it is nice to be able to flip a switch and get the one you want.

7. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees LawnSite Senior Member

Have John deere with hand controls, love it, I don't like foot controls with spades or augers on inclines.

8. TWUllc

TWUllc LawnSite Senior Member

Hand Controls are SOO much easier if you ask me. I never liked foot controls.

9. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

ive owned and run bobcat foot controls for 10 years, i would probably look like a real idiot with hand controls. I would say it is what you get used too.
    Mike

10. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

when i start bouncing around i like to brace myself with my feet and thats hard to do with foot controls