• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Hand held laser distance meter recommendation?

Neal Wolbert

LawnSite Senior Member
Anyone recommend a hand held laser distance meter that will measure lawns up to several acres in size and tree height too? I've searched the web but I'd like a recommendation from a satisfied user.

Thanks for the help, Neal

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I have a "Point and Measure Digital Tape" by Performance Tool. For indoor carpentry--its fine. It will find the square feet or cubic feet of a room. It has a red laser beam that you point at the surface you want to measure from. However...the actual measuring is by sound waves. It emits a tiny clicking sound and meaures the time it takes to hear the echo. Distance limit is about 60 feet, I think. It does not do well if the laser beam hits a slanted surface.

On the other hand...I may attach it to my Permagreen...and as an experiment...use it to find the swath width and keep it constant. (Seven feet to next tire track). Or maybe it would work for my Scotts spreader.

ant

LawnSite Silver Member

Duekster

LawnSite Fanatic
I have a "Point and Measure Digital Tape" by Performance Tool. For indoor carpentry--its fine. It will find the square feet or cubic feet of a room. It has a red laser beam that you point at the surface you want to measure from. However...the actual measuring is by sound waves. It emits a tiny clicking sound and meaures the time it takes to hear the echo. Distance limit is about 60 feet, I think. It does not do well if the laser beam hits a slanted surface.

On the other hand...I may attach it to my Permagreen...and as an experiment...use it to find the swath width and keep it constant. (Seven feet to next tire track). Or maybe it would work for my Scotts spreader.

Just get a GPS for tracking the permagreen.:laugh:

morturf

LawnSite Senior Member
Go to Cabelas.com and look at the laser range finders. I have used a bushnell for years. It is like this
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat601606&hasJS=true

It works like a charm and makes measureing a yard a cinch. It cuts the time involved to about half. Yes they have some drawbacks....won't measure under 16 yards but........you can step them off for close enough. Hope that helps.

OP
N

Neal Wolbert

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks for the tips. If I find one that will measure both short and long distances with accuracy (and I don't have to sell the farm to buy), I'll let you know.

Neal