Hand held quit today

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by windflower, May 7, 2020.

1. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

Two 2 cycle tools quit working. Never had this happen before but the picture explains it nicely. 20200506_182939.jpg

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, they don't run too good on water, right?

3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from South Jersey

What kind of mix do you use ? It's cloudy looking, must still have some water in it......

4. JBplays

JBplays LawnSite Member
    from AL

That sucks! I'm sure you wish you could have a mulligan!

5. OP
    OP
    windflower

It's the stihl in the orange containers. Yeah it's cloudy because of the water. That was my first clue the gas was to blame. The gas in the pic came out of a blower that isn't running yet. That gas came straight from a local station and the can is kept in my box truck so the water didn't come from rain getting into the can. Got the other tool running after about 50 pulls. Looks like a carb cleaning will be needed on the blower. Just weird to have that much water in the gas. My first thought was sabotage.

Bitches_Brew likes this.
  6. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from South Jersey

It's my understanding that pump fuel is filtered, but I don't know if there is a water extractor. You could be getting fuel from the bottom of their tank.....Or if they just got a load in, from the new gas mixing up what was left at the bottom of their tank....

7. OP
    OP
    windflower

Don't know. 1st time in 35 years I've had this problem.

weeze likes this.
  8. fritowrdo

fritowrdo LawnSite Fanatic

Interested in what the station says that you bought it from.

9. OP
    OP
    windflower

I think the blower was possessed by demons or gremlins. After disassembly it had a broken fuel return line, a clogged primary fuel line, the fuel pick up in the tank was disconnected at the tank plug and the spark screen had so much carbon the machine wouldn't even run on ether. I'd find and fix one issue and the thing still wouldn't run. Funny thing is it ran fine up until the water incident. Bought a new Chinese carb for it ($13) which works fine but I left in the original that didn't even need cleaning. Runs fine now. Don't know if my neighbors will miss all the screaming coming from the shop.

10. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Fanatic

The one thing I pretty much always do when workin on hand helds is to pull the muffler and check/clean the cyl. exh. port.
    I've ran across some where the plug looked good, screen not heavily carboned, but the cyl. exh. port was dam near carboned shut.