1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Hand held quit today

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by windflower, May 7, 2020.

1. Bitches_Brew

Bitches_Brew LawnSite Member
    from earth

I wouldn't buy gas there. My father inspected tanks for the state and they leak all the time. If gas can leak out, water can get in. I would even file a complaint with the state.

2. JagT20N

JagT20N LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from will county Il

when I hauled fuel we often would stick the tanks with the green goop ( water detecting compound ) after a heavy rain or snow and would find several inches of water in the tank and would have to have them call a tank pump out company as it would clog filters ( if they used a good one ) but some name brand cheap gas companies I knew of used a can style water seperator instead of a filter and they would often start pumping a water and gas mixture when full till they drained them . as they relied on the trucks to be clean as the fuel is filtered at the terminals before they load out .

and hate to tell you thats not how to make a water cooled handheld ..

3. OP
    OP
    windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

It did stay nice and cool the entire time it wasn't running.

4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

that's freaky never seen that before in my life :O

5. JagT20N

JagT20N LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from will county Il

you should have seen the mess I was running into back during the floods of 1995 , the company I worked for we did petroleum deliveries and some remedial stuff , don't remember how many pump out and refinery returns we made that summer with fuel that was mixed in the tanks , you think it would seperate but have a moron who didn't check the tank for water then drops 8 K worth of product in it it turns to emulsion and if it has alcohol it in , milky gas ...

hort101 and Breezmeister like this.
  6. HenryN

HenryN LawnSite Member

Which is why I always buy gasoline from a big name brand station. Exxon, Chevron, etc. If they screw up and sell you gas with water, they will pay to fix your car / truck / whatever. The no name corner store – who knows?

7. OP
    OP
    windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

At the moment it is worth the risk. Diesel at a local chain is $1.93. At exxon station it is $2.65