Hand shovel or mini skid steer?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV' started by Velo781, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Velo781

Velo781 LawnSite Member

Is there anything out there to handle work that is too much to hand shovel realistically but not worthy of using a mini skid steer? Lets say you need to move a pile of dirt or small diameter rock (gravel).

2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Platinum Member

That really depends if you have a mini skid steer or if all you own is a shovel

DXN1EL, BrandonV and knox gsl like this.
  3. Velo781

Velo781 LawnSite Member

I want to know what equipment is out there. From my research I can't find anything in between the two. Is that the case?

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Self loading powered trackbarrow.

Velo781 likes this.
  5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

It’s either a shovel and wheel barrow or a machine
    The litmus test is, can I move it faster than it takes me to transport, unload and reload and secure the machine down in the trailer again
    If the answer is yes, just do it by hand

RodneyK and That Guy Gary like this.
  6. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

S mini skid steer bucket is one and a Hal to two wheel barrows, what possibly could be inbeteeen that?

7. Velo781

Velo781 LawnSite Member

The Self loading powered trackbarrow would somewhat fit what I'm looking for.

When I say, between a shovel and mini skid steer, I mean a something that doesn't require a truck/trailer to haul a 2500lb $12,000 machine.

The goal is to load a wheelbarrow with less time and effort of a manual shovel.

I'm surprised there isn't a mechanically assisted shovel out there. If you could buy a $300 piece of equipment that made one man as productive as 3 men with shovels... that could be worthwhile.

8. Sti2.5ldohc

Sti2.5ldohc LawnSite Member

If the material is in a dump trailer. It takes little shoveling effort to slide material into wheelbarrow.

9. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

You can rake gravel and bark out of a bed much faster than you can shovel it.