Hand spreader that won't jam

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Scott G., Jun 8, 2018.

1. Scott G.

Scott G. LawnSite Member

I used to use decent hand spreaders but that discontinued them and everything I have been using lately keeps clogging up when I use Crosscheck EZ. Any recommendations for a good hand spreader?

2. Hineline

Hineline LawnSite Senior Member

Every hand spreader I have ever used sucked. I've been using the Scotts Wizz since they came out and we use the crap out of them. Use rechargeable batteries and keep them clean. Revolutionary product.

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

We use the Spyker handheld(Blue). All others seemed to last less than a month (some much less than that). We keep the Spykers on our ride-on's for getting small areas and strips done. Are they the greatest, most even spread ever?...No, but they work well for the intended use. Will they last longer than the Scotts POS or the Earthway's? Yes, much longer. We've been carrying the same ones now for going on 3 yrs

Young Bros and hort101 like this.
  4. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

they sell them at walmart for $5. just grab several.

5. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

I suggest not using the lesco ones from siteone.... garbage

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I LOVE the Earthway hand spreader. Work very well, and they last. Unless you abuse your toys, then they don't last so long.

7. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Solo and it has never jammed on me.

woodlawnservice likes this.
  8. Young Bros

Young Bros LawnSite Senior Member

Spyker blue hand held.

9. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

solo as well for granular fert. never an issue..

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Fanatic

I've never seen a solo hand held spreader. I've seen the Solo 421 Chest spreader with shoulder strap. Holds 20 lbs of fert. Great for smaller lawns. We have 3 or 4 and they are awesome but not what I consider a "handheld"