Hand tools

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Recoveryman, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Recoveryman

Recoveryman LawnSite Member

I'm curious to know where the pros buy their hand tools. After buying 3 pruning loppers from Lowes and Home Depot and Harbor Freight over the last several years there has to be a better quality tool out there!? I've been able to, as a home owner, bend handles, cutting jaws. They are all made in China... There has to be a tool quality out there? The Harbor Freight versions don't work

2. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Site one has decent selection. Gemplers online. I generally use corona. Decent value for the money. Your budget is the limit

TrainingWheels and Recoveryman like this.
  3. Recoveryman

Recoveryman LawnSite Member

Thanks! I'm headed there now!!

4. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

Wait!

5. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

6. Blainethompson

Blainethompson LawnSite Senior Member

All my hand tools are Stihl. Loppers, precision shears, hand pruners, and hand saw. I tried no telling how many cheaper brands but none of them have held up, worked as well, or held sharpe edge like my Stihl. Yes, they are pricey but you defiantly get what you pay for like anywhere else.

rlitman likes this.
  7. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

like said the stihl stuff is excellent but real pricey

8. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

I've always had good luck with felco brand lopers and pruners.

My go to hedge shears are some nishigaki karikichi shears. High carbon steel that holds it edge for a long time. I have had my eye on the Okatsune 204 but untill my Nishigaki are shot no need buy em.

hort101 likes this.
  9. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

Felco is extra pricey, wife keeps asking to get some but wants the $100 pruners. She loses them a lot so she gets the $18 stihl ones.

hort101 and Blainethompson like this.
  10. BigJlittleC

from Chicago

I use the felco 2 alot. I am pretty good at keeping them around but to be honest cannot for the life of me find them! Went to use them on my last clean up and not in the special slot. Not sure if I left them somewhere or what but it was a good 4 year run with em!

Mitty87 and hort101 like this.