Hand weed dandelions

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
If you cut dandelions off at the soil surface--will they return and resprout? What about wild violets?
Actually, yes. As we might expect.
A few medium size dandelions And wild violets (about 6 inches diameter) were cut off as a test about 3 weeks ago.
Most of them resprouted, but more weakly--much smaller than before.
A few wild violets probably resprouted in pic 351.

One questions remains: will summer annuals like spurge resprout if cut off? And what about crabgrass and goosegrass? I like to use a saw-knife, dry-wall saw or tree trim saw.

Attachments

Last edited:

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
If you cut dandelions off at the soil surface--will they return and resprout? What about wild violets?
Actually, yes. As we might expect.
I like to use a saw-knife, dry-wall saw or tree trim saw.
First, any idea about dandelions cut beneath the surface? I use a tool that grabs the root with 6 nails about 2" below the surface and pulls. Sometimes I get 2" of root. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to get 8" or more, and either way, I can pull a couple of hundred in 10 minutes.

Second, "drywall knife". Darn it. Now I need to add another tool to my gardening arsenal. I love it. Yeah, those could be great for cutting roots, and I've never thought of it.

My newest tool was actually something i finished last night. Using old suspension parts from my jeep, I made something to pull saplings. The tie rod gives you the leverage, and some short lengths of rebar make up the clamping surface (I love rebar's texture for this).

OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Got pictures?
Do you still have to pull hard with the Jeep?
The vee-shape grabs saplings of varying sizes--right?
Is this like with the "wheel method" for pulling bushes and fence posts?

Which weeds cannot come back from the roots?
Is it only weeds with rhizomes that can resprout from roots?
Crabgrass not included?

I have a patch of tall fescue in my yard--if I had pull it--will it be gone? Repeat twice?

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
Got pictures?
Do you still have to pull hard with the Jeep?
The vee-shape grabs saplings of varying sizes--right?
Is this like with the "wheel method" for pulling bushes and fence posts?

Which weeds cannot come back from the roots?
Is it only weeds with rhizomes that can resprout from roots?
Crabgrass not included?

I have a patch of tall fescue in my yard--if I had pull it--will it be gone? Repeat twice?
Pull with the Jeep. LOL

Pictures as requested. It's made from parts of a Wrangler TJ tie rod assembly, with one tie rod end link serving as the hinge, and rebar jaw teeth for where it grabs. The tie rod has ball joints, but the spherical motion doesn't really hinder the usage. You just need to pay a little attention when grabbing, but once you start to pull, it balances out, since the center of the jaws are in line with the center of the ball.

The other ball joint has since been cut off, and I plan to weld on a piece of pipe for the ground lever.

5D9290E9-C139-46F1-8EAB-1B294B7D97CB.jpeg
7A0A76CF-9A5C-412B-B127-2289E1F17009.jpeg

tdipaul

LawnSite Senior Member
I have that tool with the nails. In one yard I filled up two Lowes buckets worth.

IMO its easier on the body and much faster spraying them with a 2 gal unit.

OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Learn how to apply fertilizer properly--and then train your people.
This is important--for instance--at a very public varsity soccer field.
Photographed through the fence--yesterday.
When you get to the end of a row--shut off the fertilizer. This before stopping the machine.
Not sure if this was a local large company--or maybe they decided to let the school maintenance guys do it.
They made another similar burn about 200 feet away, near the school front yard.

Attachments

Top Forums