handheld equipment?

TLLandS

LawnSite Member
I am new in the business and am looking at what equipment to go with? Lot of dealers in Omaha area are either echo, mostly Stihl, and couple red max and shindaiwa. I am leaning towards redmax, but hear STIHL STIHL STIHLi dont always trust a dealer to push their product on me. Insight greatly appreciated.

I have no specific model #'s yet for trimmer, blower types and sizes, i know i will buy sraight shaft timmer, most likely gonna buy a handheld blower vs backback blower, for now!

Another question? An actual edger, or use an attachment type that can convert oa a line trimmer?

thanks in advance!!
TL L&S

Alan0354

LawnSite Platinum Member
Check out Husqvarna 223L and 326L trimmer, they are light and very reliable and cheap. Read all the raving reviews here.

For handheld blower, Maruyama BL3100 is about the strongest bar none. It has the highest power engine by a lot at 1.7hp. It is light and cheapest compare to the top one from Stihl and Shindaiwa. I have the Shindaiwa EB3410 but I would buy the Maruyama if I were to do it again. For a cheaper hand held blower, nobody can even touch Husqvarna 125B that is close to the power of the top blowers at $149 or less.

For a cheap medium size back pack blower, Husqvarna 150Bt for $300. Best bang for the buck.

For hedge trimmer, check out Maruyama HT2300 or HT2321. I have Echo, Shindaiwa and Maruyama, I like Maru the best, the blade is a touch better, the engine is ultra quiet and easy to start. It is quite a bit cheaper than all the other brands except Kawasaki. I paid $389 from Turfeagle a year ago and love it. If you want to save money, go with Kawasaki on ebay.

I own two Shindaiwa, I don't personally suggest it. Other than the EB802 big blower that has perfect reliability record, their new trimmers like T242 and T282 have their share of complains. they seem to go down hill from the posts here. Echo make good products, but if you notice other than the 21cc trimmers and hedge trimmers, the others are quite expensive, it is not exactly compatible with brands like Husqvarnas and Kawasaki. If you are one of those that put a lot of weight on warranty for whatever it's worth, Maruyama is the only one that gives 5 years commercial warranty.
That's about sum it up!!!:waving:

Last edited:

luis@NJ

LawnSite Senior Member
In my opinion redmax make the best blowers and i like there weed whackers. Stihl makes the best chain saws and cut-off saws. I only say this because i have owned/used theses brands. Echo also makes good weed whackers and hedge trimmers , but there equipment seems to be cheaper and cheaper every year. As far as edgers i really like the cart style edgers not the stick ones, with the cart style i feel its more stable and bigger engine options. Lets see what others have to say........

Merkava_4

LawnSite Bronze Member
Another question? An actual edger, or use an attachment type that can convert oa a line trimmer?
I like an actual edger for edging along concrete side walks and driveways.

The McLane with the large 8" wheels and the lightweight Briggs & Stratton is my favorite.

OP
T

TLLandS

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the input! I was thinking along those lines on the edger question. The wheels would be so much more stable and take the fatigue aspect out of having to hold a trimmer, keep it straight and do a good job. I could use whatever feedback you guys have to offer, thats why I came here!!
TL L&S

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

LawnSite Senior Member
STIHL!
Trimmer: fs90r
Blower: commercial bg 86
There are no gas powered edgers so I can't tell you anything. (in Canada)
Posted via Mobile Device

orangemower

LawnSite Silver Member
I'm an Echo fan so my opinion might be biased. I do own a few Stihl product too.

OP
T

TLLandS

LawnSite Member
Just a general question? Aen't most the major brands like Stihl, echo, Redmax, and so on, aren't most of them fairly close? i mean they are all professional makes and models for the most part, does it basically just come down to trial and error over the years and personal preference?

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
All of the commercial grade machines out there today are pretty close in quality and features. It all comes down to what feels the best to you usually. There are always exceptions in any brand, where there may be a bad model design, but those are quickly discovered by pros, and posted about in places like this. I own Stihl and Husky handhelds and BP's, and run Jonsered chainsaws. I have had echo too, and as I said, they are all pretty close. I do like the fact that a lot of Husky/Red Max tools don't have a catalytic convert, and have stratified engines.

torotorotoro

LawnSite Senior Member
i dont think there is a husky dealer in omaha. sthile and redmax are best by far. finding a dealer that you can trust is more important then which major brand. pm me if you want the low down on the dealers in omaha area. i use redmax for all hand helds. personally a stick edger is way quicker then a push type.most of my edging is done monthly.once it is done the first time you can almost run with a stick edger and it can go on your trimmer rack. saving needed space on trailer.