handheld leaf vac

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by woodlawnservice, May 16, 2018.

1. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Bronze Member

unique situation where i need a handheld unit.. whats the most powerful and durable one you recommend?

2. Miller5862

Miller5862 LawnSite Member

Want to know also. Everyone i see has such a tiny bag it would just be annoying and time consuming constantly changing it.

3. fireball756

fireball756 LawnSite Senior Member

Echo has the shred and vac. Does a nice job with cigarette butts, peanuts, and leaves. Will not handle condoms, latex gloves, and tasty cake cellophane wrappers. Very dusty to the operator however there are HEPA bags available Also when you are sucking up gutters on streets the grit/sand wears the blades down quickly.
    They also make a back pack blower with a Venturi system. It is a attachment for the 400E. It works on everything since no debris ever touches the blades but reduces the blowing capability by 60% and bag fills up fast with bulky trash like newspaper.
    Without knowing your unique situation it is hard to tell you what works best.

4. woodlawnservice

i need one for sucking leaves out of landscape beds where blowing them out isnt an option..

5. Todd73

Todd73 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Florida

I picked this Stihl up a few months back for use on a property that has an open pool and borders a canal; two places where I want to suck debris up and not blow. It’s also come in handy when doing hedge trimming and cleaning up all the grass and crap that ends up in my garage and saves me from my wife yelling at me for using the blower!

https://www.stihl.com/STIHL-power-t...rs/Vacuum-shredders/22288-1541/SH-56-C-E.aspx

6. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is what I have. Stihl 56. It does okay, but the bag really is small and a hole wore in my bag pretty quick. I just would rather blow anything I have to get up into the grass area and suck it up with the mower. I used to have an account where I thought this would be of good use, but I really didn't use if very long. The 56 is a nice unit though and makes a good backup blower if you need one.

7. fireball756

Suggest you find a dealer that will let you demo one. Echo works fine on leaves. One limitation is the pickup tube is 6 inches in diameter, so you will find going under certain bushes is harder than blowing them out with a 3 inch tube. Also the pickup tube wears if you pick up a lot of dirt and sand. There is a safety switch that shuts down the unit if tube is off or is loose. Our biggest problem is janitors will not use them because they get dusty. Lawn guys are not bothered about the dust but seem to think they are too slow.

8. fireball756

Still vs echo. Echo is lighter. Still rolls around the back of the truck better than the echo Echo’s are easier to fix and majority of issues are fuel related Stihl are more durable but are harder to diagnose what is wrong like spark arrest or screens and loose mufflers Bottom line I think they are both the same to the individual operator. Test before you buy

woodlawnservice likes this.
  9. woodlawnservice

ive alwaysbran echo... always.. easy to work on... all 2 stroke, and like u said 99% of the time its fuel related.. new carb and back in operation...