Handling special requests

Shindaiwa_operator

LawnSite Member
How do you handle customers that want you to come spray or fertilize on a different day? “Oh my grandkids want to play outside today. Can you come on Monday?” Classic example....

Matthews Lawn Care

LawnSite Gold Member
How do you handle customers that want you to come spray or fertilize on a different day? “Oh my grandkids want to play outside today. Can you come on Monday?” Classic example....
If you can accommodate the request without it being a major inconvenience, then do it. If it’s a major inconvenience then let them know they will incur additional fees to reschedule.

DMT29

LawnSite Member
I've gotten so much of that this year with everyone being home. Especially after I call to let them know I'm coming, they say OK, and I show up with 6 kids playing in the yard.

I have never added on additional fees but this year has made me rethink. Next season will be different

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Yes, put it in your literature or sales folder in the fine print. Postponements that cause an extra trip will be charged based on the additional distance traveled.

OP
Shindaiwa_operator

Shindaiwa_operator

LawnSite Member
Well that’s just the thing! I can’t always reschedule when I’m 30 miles away from the shop, not even economically feasible. Usually my customers are quite good and 98% of them I’d hate to loose! But sometimes the odd one here or there just doesn’t seem to have much common sense.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Mention that there will be a week's delay as you will not schedule for their zip code for a few days--the weeds and crabgrass will be older and tougher--and more delays result if rain or wind push the schedule back. Of course, this means the next treatment will be too close together--only 4 weeks apart--not 5 weeks. Rapid growth of the grass is a possibility, in that case.
Try to find an early morning or late day time that is acceptable.