1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Hard on the hands?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jocko1104, Aug 21, 2002.

1. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

Is it just me or does my 36" encore do a number on my hands and forearms? There must be a better way to run your machince! Are there better drive systems out there? I dont mean a 60" z...

I do primarily small residential

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

How about a hydro walk???

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Look at Exmarks New Control's. They Come Gear Or Hydro. I Have a Mower with Them And i Like Them Alot.

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I would like to try Hustlers design on their w/b's but I don't think there is a dealer close. I have not tried Exmarks new ECS design so I can't comment on it. The pistol grips don't really bother me, I guess I'm used to them. I do know there are probally better systems out there. Sorry, not much help.

5. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

I have the toros with the t bars and have had no problems but my stihl hedge clippers kill me. My hands and arm hurt like crazy.

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Do yourself a favor and put money in your pocket, too. Go look at a Hustler. Nothing, and I mean nothing is as easy, simple, productive and gentler on your hands......Err, well maybe "Dove hand cream":D
    Pete

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

man do i know where u are coming from. unfortunately most machines that ive owned got a good cussing ,most ever time i did a repair. especially those made by small hands[asian folks etc] no offence to them. rule of thumb. i have to have a little blood on my knuckles,before that hard to deal with whatever is coming off or coming on. finally does.
    my son in law was totally convinced i was going to beat him up ,someday
    for sure. until i convinced him the busted knuckles were the result of a clumsy mechanic,not a bad bad dude.
    a secrete ive learned. take your time in repairs and think out what u intend to do.
    then expect the unexpected. u will still bust knuckles ,u may just not cuss the machine as much.:)
    pleaseexcuse my misunderstanding the subject. eyes aint what they use to be..
    not that bad tho ,just an oversite.

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I own a 48" encore hydro. It has some really stiff controls. After a few minutes it will have you hurtin'. The new eXmark ECS controls are really nice. You should demo one.

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Toro T-bar.

I'm waiting to see Gravelys controls.

Pistol grips are not the option.

10. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

Yes the controls are quite stiff. I'm not sure that buying a new mower is the answer for a least a season ot two bu i will try to find a hustler and will stop by the dealer and aska bout the ecs controls. Anyone know what i might expect to shell for those?