Hard to control weeds charged extra?

grassmasterswilson

LawnSite Fanatic
This was brought up in another thread and I thought I would start a dedicated topic.

The discussion came up about hard to control weeds like nut grass, Killinga, dallisgrass etc

Like many of you I have a standard program(mine is 6 steps). They are not on a monthly plan and either pre pay or pay per app. I can control most weeds with this program. Although having to come spray dallisgrass 3 times every 14 days is not something built into my program. I do spray sedges 2 times per year but only spot spray.

So do you have a disclaimer for certain weeds? Do you charge extra for having to spray a target weed multiple times? Something like....

Sedge pressure may increased based on weather. We will spot spray twice per year during Peak growing season to control the weed. An additional charge will be accessed for extra apps.

Or

Dallisgrass/goose grass/etc are very tough weeds that often require 2-3 sequential applications to control. We will be happy to treat these weeds with additional apps based on tech recommendation or client request.

How do you handle these stubborn weeds?

inzane

LawnSite Silver Member
If its a newer customer and its gonna require a significant amount of product used and follow ups, i charge extra. If its just a mild issue, I take care of it. Usually this is for fescue in the bermuda. I know i didn't put it there... some people go out to the store and put out some "seed", it don't matter.. its all grass right? They get to pay extra for me to fix. lol. I don't charge extra for nutsedge though. Dallis grass, i may if its a real bad problem. If its a few here in there i take care of it.

This was brought up in another thread and I thought I would start a dedicated topic.

The discussion came up about hard to control weeds like nut grass, Killinga, dallisgrass etc

Like many of you I have a standard program(mine is 6 steps). They are not on a monthly plan and either pre pay or pay per app. I can control most weeds with this program. Although having to come spray dallisgrass 3 times every 14 days is not something built into my program. I do spray sedges 2 times per year but only spot spray.

So do you have a disclaimer for certain weeds? Do you charge extra for having to spray a target weed multiple times? Something like....

Sedge pressure may increased based on weather. We will spot spray twice per year during Peak growing season to control the weed. An additional charge will be accessed for extra apps.

Or

Dallisgrass/goose grass/etc are very tough weeds that often require 2-3 sequential applications to control. We will be happy to treat these weeds with additional apps based on tech recommendation or client request.

How do you handle these stubborn weeds?

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Its relative to what your main competition is doing. And if any DIY fix is available.
In most cases, problem weeds that require an extra trip, I would charge extra. To be fair--the written material should specify which weeds or fungus problems are optional at extra cost.

Top Forums