1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

hard to cut weeds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jbell113, Sep 28, 2004.

1. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I was curious to know in a weed infested yard of crab grass and dallis grass are you able to cut it without having to double cut? I have a few props that crab and dallis grass get really tall and I always have to run back over it 2 or 3 times. I have 3 blades on my W/B turf tracer and it seems that in between the blades it leaves a row of uncut weeds. It does not do it in a yard with all bermuda. What is your experience with this ? thanks in advance

2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Here's what I do. Normally, If the lawn isn't that long I go up the row, stop, and then go inreverse over the same row. This seems to get the stuff that layed over. If you have a walk behind, I don't think it would be as easy.

Iv'e come to the conclusion that double mowing is more of a reality than alot of us would like to admit, even on just grass.

I did a lawn this spring and it must have taken me 4 passes in some spots because of the year old Golden rod...I hate that stuff!

3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the reply and I think your right as far as others having to make more than one pass.