1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Hard To Start Generac

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Bob Mills, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Bob Mills

Bob Mills LawnSite Member

My 72" Dixie Chopper has the 32 HP Generac engine. Cold starts can take as much as 5 minutes on the starter, along with a jump from my 200 amp battery charger. Once it starts it has a mountain of power, and will start easily when warm. I had it back to the dealer over winter and spent over $400 for no improvement. Any ideas?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Bob,

Here is a few things to check, Make sure the choke butterfly is closing fully when the cable is pulled. Generacs like to be cold started at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle. Also the 32 should have a battery with at least 345 cold cranking amps to spin the engine over fast enough to produce a hot enough spark. The starter could need a cleaning and lube (not spinning fast enough).

Lastly, Un-plug the power wire from the fuel cut-off solenoid on the carb and check for battery voltage with the key in the start position.

Good Luck

3. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

I saw a similar thread just like this one ?

what did they do for $400 bucks ?

It might shed some light on what the problem is..

Curious Mike