Hard water and valves

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Srlance31, Aug 11, 2018 at 9:11 PM.

1. Srlance31

Srlance31 LawnSite Senior Member

I thought we already did a thread on this topic but I couldn't find it so started this one....

Have bunch of properties with hard water (20-30 grains of hardness). The stuff will clog up a copper water pipe if not soften. Anyways, with valves and the tiny holes in the diaphragms and ports and filter screens, is there any that work better than others? Is this not really an issue with irrigation? In the northern states here, Indiana and Michigan; run the irrigation May-September. Looking for 1 1/2" valves that's not going to set me back $100 per.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Just be glad you don't have brass valves. As it happens, hard water that crudded up good brass valves did nothing whatsoever to plastic valves.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know if the 'scrubber' valves that Rain Bird and Weather-Matic make would solve your problem with hardness, I doubt it. We have hard water down here in Arizona, also. I finally researched and found a company in Phoenix that makes all sorts of softeners. We use one on the motor home and, not only are our showers way better, but all our faucets and hot water heater need no more attention! Contact these folks, they're good, smart people. Here is also the company that makes the best test kit for hardness. Good luck. www.602abcwater.com www.hach.com

DSCN4529.jpg

Greencuts518 and hort101 like this.
  4. Srlance31

Thanks for the input mike. Most valves at site are weathermatic Black bullets 1 1/2”. Some need a new diaphragm but most are good if just slow opening. Pretty sure I’m going to move to the Rainbird pga if they need to replace valves though. I’ve been having good success and reviews from them so far. As you said scrubbers can’t help too much. Calcium is a pain to remove.

Mike Leary likes this.
  5. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

Water softeners sometimes add salt to the water. Using it for irrigation over the long term can cause plant issues with the higher salt content in the soil. I would double check that before choosing a softener.

Mike Leary and benhargreaves like this.
  6. Mike Leary

True, one would have to be on the mark to not add too much salt!:nod: Rain-Bird made a combo valve/filter that could be set to flush to daylight or a sump. I would use the very hip test kit made by Hach to get the level correct. I did, for the motor coach. When you 'regenerate' the softener, it must be flushed to remove the heavy salts and re-tested. Works slick, though!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018 at 5:51 PM
  7. Srlance31

Works but expensive. One site I’m at today is about 70 acres or 251 zones, 26 grain hardness. We use the hach kits as our standard for testing hardness. Works awesome. But can’t soften water at this level and be cost effective.

mitchgo and Mike Leary like this.
  8. Mike Leary

Pretty amazing how the internet works: as soon as we started talking about Hach, this add showed up below your post1

Screen Shot 2018-08-14 at 5.07.27 PM.png

Ron Wolfarth likes this.
  9. Srlance31

And for the low low price !!

Mike Leary likes this.
  10. Ron Wolfarth

Ron Wolfarth Sponsor

:eek:

Mike Leary likes this.