• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

Harder and harder to find help

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Nearly impossible to find dependable, hard working,
Non-lazy, American’s.

And the immigrants: the undocumented are demanding no less than $17 per hr to start with NO experience. The documented are demanding $20 to $25 per hour with NO experience.

The older I’m getting, the less patience I’m having to train, etc.

What are you contending with?

goodbeus

LawnSite Senior Member
It’s the same everywhere and that’s in every labor workforce industry.

OP
DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
OP
DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
And for those that that desire to grow - how do you plan to grow when help is hard to find?

gchidest

LawnSite Member
I see these posts and can't comprehend. There's people begging for work in my area, and what you folks are paying, wow, you'd have people lined up. I don't know about the lazy part, I run solo, but sure we have our fair share of lazy farts around here.

Mark Stark

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm reevaluating our business plan this winter. My suspicion is that the labor issue is going to be fixed by the time we do our major hiring in the spring of 2022. I think that this spring of 2021 we will still have hiring issue.

We are targeting some of our more profitable work and decreasing some of the less profitable work. And we'll just continue to turn work away.

OP
DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
I had a laborer that I hired in February. No experience. Started him at $15. And after a month bumped him up to $17. Lost him about 5 or so weeks ago to a painter. Someone offered him $20 / hr to paint.

OP
DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Recently hired another laborer. Speaks clear English, has legal work documents, has a drivers license and own transportation. No experience. Started him at $18 / hr. He didn’t last (10) days.

No one wants to do hard physical labor anymore.