Hardscape trailer

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by earthly, Mar 22, 2018.

1. earthly

earthly LawnSite Senior Member
    from IOWA

Jarred,

I looked into a SNG but decided to wait because we just invested in Manage 360. So we bought the enclosed trailer for now. I do like the point you brought up that your job site container can’t easily be stolen like an enclosed trailer can.

My question is on your jobsite box do you ever have any issues with things moving when you are unloading/loading it onto the truck? It loads at a pretty steep angle.

I’m guessing you’ll say no and that everything just needs to be tied down and secure but that was something I was wondering about when looking at them this Spring.

2. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a pretty good systems that secures everything pretty good, nothing really shifts.

hort101 and earthly like this.
  3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

The problem with this truck is this:

The sexy lockers at the front of the body, inadvertently place all the payload on the rear axle. The axle spread is too far to distribute some of the payload to the front axle. See, what many folks do not realize is that even though the GVW may not exceed 33,000 pounds, you can still be overweight on one of the axles. In this case, most likely the rear axle. To overcome this, the truck needs a lift axle. This is a hauler we use when working in his area, he has a lift axle. He explained to me how DOT inspectors weigh the truck, and weigh the axles, measure wheelbase, etc. https://www.davestruckingandstone.com/

Next, in this day and age of kids growing up inside on the couch playing video games - each year the industry is in less and less of a place to require employees to have a CDL. The labor pool is diminishing. Its hard enough finding workers that are sober, and that have work authorization papers. And now today, the LEGAL immigrants are demanding no less that $20 per hour to work as mere laborers.

I'm not dogging J-rod. Nor seeking a debate.

Just presenting a very candid opinion. Things to consider when buying / building trucks

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 11:41 PM
  4. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

I personally think his cab to axle is perfect, especially since he has a heavy steer axle! This CA is also perfect when using vbox Salters as they empty from front to back so of the rear axle was more forward things can get a little light on the front end once half the Salter is used up

hort101 and Mark Oomkes like this.
  5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

A Heavy steer axle is moot in this application. That’s my point! A truck with lockers needs a lift axle to alleviate the weight on the rear axle. But the Truck pictured in the link that I posted needs a lift axle to alleviate the weight from the front axle. And it provides more capacity on the rear. That truck was custom built by the used truck dealer.

Years ago someone had a picture of their frame bent in the middle. Same scenario. Truck was in an accident, The the frame bent cause the span was too long. Weight not properly distributed.

A topic that most hardscape guys don’t give thought to :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 6:09 AM
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think you're correct on this, that toolbox is past the halfway point in the frame. If not all of it, a good portion is. Most of that weight is going to the front axle.

While correct, I am not one of those "many folks".
    The majority of that dump box does not hang behind the rear axle, so it is not a lever removing weight from the front axle. It would still be possible to overload the rear, but not as likely as if the rear axle were further forward.

Without seeing scale tickets, that truck appears to be built in a very well thought out and proportioned manner.

As long as the driver and loader are competent, the rear axle is not going to be overloaded due to the toolbox. IMO

But it's not moot. It's very valid.

I deal with this constantly because of snow plows and salt spreaders. Plows can overload a front axle quickly due to the fact they hang out 4 feet in front of the axle. Add counterweight via a back plow or salt spreader and the weight on the front axle will be reduced. Triple L is very aware of this as well.

The way this truck is setup with a short rear overhang, the rear axle is not going to act like a lever as I mentioned. The load in the dump box is going to be on the rear axle while the cab, engine, transmission, operator and tool box will be on the front axle.

Not if the upfitter knows what he is doing.

I'd bet you're wrong.

Didn't see the pic or load. So I can't comment. Frames generally don't bend because of too much axle spread, they bend because of overloading.

hort101 and Triple L like this.
  7. etwman

etwman LawnSite Bronze Member

For whatever its worth, on all of our trucks, we have loaded, scaled, had DOT officers out, checked and rechecked things and are 100% compliant going down the road with all three trucks. Fully loaded or unloaded our axles are fine. I will assure you. There's no way I'm taking that risk.

Mr. Jon, hort101, Mark Oomkes and 2 others like this.