1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

    Dismiss Notice

Hardscaping Licensing

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by LawnsM, Jan 11, 2008.

  1. LawnsM

    LawnsM LawnSite Member
    Messages: 165

    Hey everyone!

    I'm going to venture into hardscaping AFTER I learn much more about it (no need to worry:laugh:). However, I do have one question that I need help answering. Do I need an engineering, contracter, or any kind of license to harscape things like retaining walls, patios, etc? I'm located in Indiana. I would appreciate input from anyone out of state, but especially input someone located in Indiana.

  2. shovelracer

    shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,008

    Sorry I cant give you your answer. It depends on your state and the municipality you are working. Some states require any landscape contractor to be licensed others dont. Some municipalities dont require any permit others require zoning and building. Some require an engineer's approval some dont. Really you need to start at the state level and work your way down. You can also start calling the building departments of the areas you plan on working this way you know what they require. And of course you are gonna get told to get some training, experience, and start off small. Later
  3. shovelracer

    shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,008

    Landscaping: Indiana Professional Licensing Agency - State Office Bldg. Indianapolis IN. 46204 Phone: (317) 232-2980
  4. LawnsM

    LawnsM LawnSite Member
    Messages: 165

    Thanks for your help. I tried calling the PLA, but they were no help. Their department only issues licenses. They don't determine who needs them. I'm hoping to get a better hold on the licensing issue soon.

    Thanks again!
  5. neversatisfiedj

    neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,028

    You need an MHIC home improvement license here in MD

Share This Page