1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Hardscaping worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by LawnCareBowling2019, Nov 16, 2018.

1. LawnCareBowling2019

LawnCareBowling2019 LawnSite Member

Ive only done hardscaping a few times. How much income does it bring in per season?

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Gold Member
    from Chicago

As much as you can sell and complete.

Some companies might bring in a few thousand where some will bring in millions.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

The sky is the limit. You can be a high volume low quality company or you can be a high quality low volume company.

Do you know anything about marketing?

Do you know how to talk to prospective clients?

Do you know how to manage and motivate employees?

Can you put yourself in your employees shoes?

Do you have a command on the workings of business?

Do you know anything about construction? Could you oversee the construction of a new house?

Does your area have a pool of laborers to select from?

Do you enjoy labor intensive physical labor?

Do you know anything about landscape architecture?

hort101 and Tara Ann like this.
  4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

also consider the pretty high cost of getting started. in some places (like where i am) there isn't access to rent tools you need to do a quality job. so you may have to prepare to buy some pretty expensive tamps, saws, laser etc lord knows you'll eventually need a skid and excavator.

hort101 and TrainingWheels like this.
  5. ThriftyGarage

ThriftyGarage LawnSite Member

I know a few companies that make really good money doing hardscape. But they specialize in it. I think once you try and do a job here and there you loose the efficiency and knowledge required to perform this service. I believe it is a skilled trade within the industry. A lot can go wrong if you don't know what you are doing.

Mr. Jon likes this.
  6. AdhdGrassCutting

AdhdGrassCutting LawnSite Member

Takes alot of tools to get started

7. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

That’s where rental companies come into play until you get enough business to buy your own stuff.

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

If I didn’t know so much about plants and turf, I’d only do hardscape and leave the green stuff to someone else.

Except I’m the one everyone else calls to ask why their stuff is dying or sick

9. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

It was easier to get started in this business twenty or thirty yrs ago. In my area you would now be competing with no less than 200 hardscapers.
    Money earned is equal to time and effort you put into it. Plus a multitude of factors as already mentioned above.

hort101 and TrainingWheels like this.
  10. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

go to the original pictures forum and look at the one titled "equipment photos".

hort101 likes this.