1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Harley powered Tractor or skidsteer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SWR11, Mar 23, 2003.

1. SWR11

SWR11 LawnSite Member

Okay looking for the vet of the business. Which is better running a harley power rake a skidsteer or a tractor. What are the
    advantages? Wich one is faster?
    Thanks

2. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I carefully researched this very same thing prior to my purchase. I ended up with a compact tractor and a T-5 Harley Power Box Rake. My reasons:
    1 - rake on rear of tractor, bucket on front so I do not have to change implements to rake and load/haul off debris
    2 - I use the tractor for many other purposes
    - large area fertilizing, shredding, roadside mowing with a boom mower, grade work with traditional box blade
    3 - cost, a compact tractor with implements was substantially less where I live than a comparable horsepower skid steer.

3. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

What situations do you use the grader box instead of the power rake?

Thanks!
    '

4. Pard

Pard LawnSite Member

Go with the Tractor!!!!

I have used both kinds and I found the one on the front of a skidsteer almost impossible to use unless the lawn is completely flat. The reason for this is because you cannot see the drum of the rake - so every thing has to be done by feel. Hope this helps.

Pard

5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Mike, I use my box blade a great deal for bulk movement of soil, distribution of gravel for road maintenance and for shaping work where contours are wanted in a design instead of flat surfaces.
    I follow this shaping with the pbr to clean any debris and then prep for either sod or seed.

6. SWR11

SWR11 LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys

I' m going to stay with my tractor. She think's my tractor's sexy!!!!!!!:D :D :blob2:

7. DaddyRabbit

DaddyRabbit LawnSite Senior Member

If the only thing you'll be doing is operating a harley rake then I'd say go Tractor, (Kubota). The skid steer is a royal pain in the *** backing up w/no way to see behind you, thank goodness for beepers. If you don't back up then you have the tracks of the tracks or tires in the newly graded area on a skid steer. However, if you're handling dirt, sod or grading then the skid steer will stomp the tractor. It does this very efficiently. I prefer tracks on skid steers, exp..Cat 257, yummy. If you will be only Landscaping then go w/the skid steer. If you plan to do things like rotary cutting or finish cutting then go w/the tractor.