1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

harley rake for compacts

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by strickdad, Nov 26, 2002.

1. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

anybody have a harley rake on the back of a compact tractor? if so how does it do?

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

i personaly have not used onebut did research it about a year ago for doing work on the farm. it is a great tool, is great for doing soil prep, one of the downsides was its price and in most cases its not worth purchasing unless u do a large amount fo soil prep, also generally only good on larger properties do to the over all length of the implement plus the tractor. if you have a few large properties that need this consider renting one.

3. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Harley rakes on my kubotas make me a very nice profit!!! @ 10 .cents a sq. If you do lawn installs it will pay itself off quick. The new carbide tooth one roller is what we use. Get a Harley brand for sure. 30 hp min for 6 foot rake. ( 3,4 hundred lawns exp.)

4. strickdad

sts i wish i could rent one, around here you cant rent anything for a tractor. im also considering just buying a 5 foot rototiller and a 5 foot pulverizer to hopefully achieve simllar results. what do you think?

5. Planet Landscaping

Planet Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing = the harley rake for soil ,rock ,woodchips,gravel, or any thing else you need to level. For lawn installs in a variety of conditions: unscreened,screened,dry, wet,and rocky, nothin=the HARLEY RAKE. Take it from exp. Save your money. Hope this helps, Happy thanxgivin.

6. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Strickdad,

Like the rest save your money and get the power rake.
    I purchased one this past fall. I was able to install a 36,000 sq ft yard in 9 hours. This include leveling, seeding, and strawing. After all expenses I cleared $1100.00 on this one install. I have installed several yards before I got the machine. I would not do another install without my Harley. I the past two years I have installed over 60 properties. I have learned from experience.

I have a TC33 D and I got the 6 foot power rake. I use take the box blade and the tiller to the job site. Now I leave them at the shop.

I to debated about the purchase, but it was one of the best I have ever made.

PS I told my wife that I would like to have a Harley before the end of the year. She thought I was talking about a TWO WHEELER!!!!

I can't say enough good things about the Harley.

7. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

if u can see urself doing many instals then go for it, if its one or two i wouldnt get one, it is a great piece of equipment.

8. Cheese burger

Cheese burger LawnSite Member

I've got the 6 ft. I use it with my Kubota 4310. I was wondering if anybody has any experience with the smaller one behind a compact tractor. I have a Kubota B21 I think the pto hp is 16 has anyone used one at this hp level?

Dave

9. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, got the T-5 model behind a M-F 1233. I have rear, remote, hydraulics, and for installs, verticutting or renovations, the T-5 works well. However, the pivot point for the cylinder that controls the axis on the roller is a weak link.
    I have spoken to Harley about this and their warranty guy is still MIA. Heart attack or something.
    Call me at 830-693-0598, and I will tell you what I know.
    Steve

10. strickdad

i found a used one on the net, he is asking 3700.00 lt looks good in the pic. but you know how that is. its only about a hundred miles away so it might be worth looking into. btw hows the price?