Has anyone else experienced this ? Similair phrasing/reactions from customers.

AL's

LawnSite Bronze Member
So recently I posted about converting to a full service only business. Right now we do full service and "maintenance only".

Since that post I've changed the way I handle calls/quotes. I go over all of our policies in detail. I explain all of the processes, the schedules, the billing, our expectations, what they can expect etc etc.

So far we're 2 out of 7 for signups. and 2 for 2 on the ones that moved from the initial phone call to the on site/in person quote.

What has really stood out in my mind though is that I keep hearing this phrase, both over the phone with people who didnt sign up and on person quotes where the 2 did sign up... "You seem to have your business figured out" or "You've got a good show going here" or "you're running a tight ship" or some variation of this. and half of these have been followed up with another comment about "profit". How I seem to be more professional or business like and I know what we need to be profitable.

I can't remember any time I've ever had this happen in the past. and to be honest I'm kind of shocked how customers (wether they sign up or not) are so open to bringing up talking about profit.

Anyone had a similar experience?

This fascinates me because I've clearly made a significant enough change to elicit these types of responses and I find myself wondering quite a bit throughout the day about the psychology behind it.

I think most of the comments have been in a positive light, although one stood out as a bit huffy, like in a "well aint you a bigshot" kinda way lol. idk maybe my tonality was off that day or something and I sounded rude on the phone idk.

Anyway, whos had similar and where did it lead you?

Mitty87

LawnSite Gold Member
I am at a point where I had to quit jerking around and tell people more strict policies as well. We are in different types of work but at a certain point you just need to be weeding out a lot more people. Same thing with sympathy clients who have been kept at lowers prices, no more. I put everything into my business and one gets tired of slaving away to save their clients money.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Some of you guys are beginning to get what I’ve been saying from day 1
Have systems and policies from the beginning
Learn to say no
You don’t want or need everyone and anyone
And no you won’t make profit just because someone is paying you.

it seems contrary to your instinct of “go out and get work” but no is your friend.

Burger King tried tacos and hot dogs
It didn’t work
Now they don’t sell them
But I want a taco! Great not at BK
That’s a NO!

the better you define your business the better you will do
Even if in the beginning that means working part time at Walmart

Mitty87

LawnSite Gold Member
I like when people seem shocked that you aren't jumping at every opportunity to look at their job.

I ask them to e-mail a brief description of their job and what part of our city they are in, then someone will respond soon and let them know if it's something we can look at.

The out of owners are always weeded out with a $60 estimate fee, although some are willing to pay. Then the people who say "I just want some ideas" are weeded out with the $60/hr consultation and you are left with serious ones.

walkinonwater27

LawnSite Senior Member
Some people get jealous when your successful and they are not, don’t worry about it. I think your weeding out the junk personally, if you need the work go semi full maintenance if they ask until
Your full. If they hint at things they want to do themselves, once it’s to much for them they’ll call you. Some people are just tire kickers and always will be. You know what direction you want to go don’t second guess any of it.

Toro44

LawnSite Senior Member
Just tell them, wouldn’t you want someone that is going to be around in a few years instead of wondering whatever happened to the lawn mower guy mid season.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I like when people seem shocked that you aren't jumping at every opportunity to look at their job.

I ask them to e-mail a brief description of their job and what part of our city they are in, then someone will respond soon and let them know if it's something we can look at.

The out of owners are always weeded out with a $60 estimate fee, although some are willing to pay. Then the people who say "I just want some ideas" are weeded out with the $60/hr consultation and you are left with serious ones.
Er mah gerd
I hate the “I’m looking for ideas” people
You know that’s what the internet is for, right?

Mitty87

LawnSite Gold Member
Er mah gerd
I hate the “I’m looking for ideas” people
You know that’s what the internet is for, right?

sometimes you get people who don’t trust their own opinion and want me to tell them what they will like. As if there is only one opinion. These people don’t like to be told it’s personal preference.

when I get the “but I want to know what would you do here?”, I just say I would put grass everywhere, 3 garden beds and that’s it, if you don’t like my idea then bring some input to the table or pay for a design. I say it nicer though.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
sometimes you get people who don’t trust their own opinion and want me to tell them what they will like. As if there is only one opinion. These people don’t like to be told it’s personal preference.

when I get the “but I want to know what would you do here?”, I just say I would put grass everywhere, 3 garden beds and that’s it, if you don’t like my idea then bring some input to the table or pay for a design. I say it nicer though.
My opinion costs $2500
It’s called a design
Do you want to spend $2500 for my opinion and the paper it’s printed on?
No?
Great
Let’s go with your opinion.
How much do you want to spend on this job?
I can help you stay in your budget if you tell me what you’re comfortable with spending.

Top Forums