Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like in the last week there has been 1 million newbie questions about 21" mowers! Has anyone else notice this? Can we design an orientation that requires new members to use the search function for all questions for the first month or something? It seems like every other post is the same!:angry:

·
Registered
316 Posts
i may get bashed for saying this but remember we were all newbes or rookies at one time and we were just so excited to find a site this this.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Sometimes I get discouraged when I come here and see the same old questions, same old arguments, etc from a fresh crop of newbies. Kind of repetitive.

But, I just try to skip by them and read something else.

·
Banned
3,594 Posts
It's true...there are a lot of questions that are being asked that have been asked and answered before. The fact is, LawnSite.com is growing at an amazing rate in regard to membership. In January alone we had nearly 1,000 new members sign up at the site.

Even though we encourage new members to use the search feature, the fact is everyone likes to have their questions answered directly. In time the "newbies" also become veterans of the site as well as the industry. There is definitely a cycle to this site. If you see questions you can answer, help out. Just remember when you came to the site for the first time....

·
Founder
629 Posts
941 New members in January 2004!!! More than double any month in the past.

2,351 New threads in January 2004!!! More than any past month.

27,084 Posts in January 2004!!! More than any other past month.

30 days! WoW! THANK YOU MEMBERS!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
The only thing I would liek to add, being that I am still kind of new is this, when you search, it isn't the most user friendly way to get the info. You type in your request and then all these threads pop out that may or may not have the title you want, so then you have to sort through and find the one you want. It can be a pain, but you know what, I dont mind answering the questions I can and then staying quiet when I dont know. I must say you all have been a great help to me and thank you for the great site!!!!

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Plus the new threads allow for the educated new memebrs to reply to them.

I don't see the big deal, Just don't read them. Would you rather have a site with no activity?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by Soupy
Plus the new threads allow for the educated new memebrs to reply to them.

I don't see the big deal, Just don't read them. Would you rather have a site with no activity?
I agree. Although I am somewhat of a newbie too, I understand the frustration with seeing the same ol posts.

Keep in mind that this industry is not like the computer industry where there are leap years of innovations every few months. There is not going to be alot of groundbreaking discussions that some of the more seasoned pro's havent discussed already.

Like the saying goes "nothing new under the sun." Just the same old issues wrapped in different packaging.

Every question on this board could be considered a newbie post to someone who has experienced your dilemma before.

I for one greatly appreciate and respect the guys who respond to the same ol posts that my fellow newbies submit.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
I kinda come and go on the site. When it gets to be too much newbie stuff for me, I take a break. Sometimes, there are great things to discuss. Other times, it gets on my nerves, but it's part of the deal here. I've certainly learned a ton of new stuff thanks to this site, and I can't derride others for trying to do the same.

:D

·
Registered
334 Posts
I am also new to the site but not new to the business! although sometimes I think I know alot I find more info, I find that out in the field that some LCO's do not like to talk about their business they feel you may be stealing their Idea's. but hear everybody is very helpful and more relaxed, I love IT glad to be part of a great site and a even better business Thank's to all Great Job!!!!!!!!:blob3: :blob1: :blob4:

Joe

·
Founder
629 Posts
Originally posted by aries
I find that out in the field that some LCO's do not like to talk about their business they feel you may be stealing their Idea's.
Joe
That is one of the original ideas behind why I started my first lawn forum on lawnicure ... back in late 1998. ( ha, using OLD board script called Matt's Script WWWBoard, version 1.0 )

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great site guys i am a new user and somewhat new to buss and have learned more in 2 wks on the site then the libariey could offer me also when I sign on to look at treads I usually find my self looking for certian user names which have answered mine or others with really good honest oppions (tiedman) but thanks to all you older member you guy are a big help us new guy like posting stuff to also I think its great that sean and chuck are ative in the site thanks guys

·
Registered
10,802 Posts
Originally posted by mtdman
Sometimes I get discouraged when I come here and see the same old questions, same old arguments, etc from a fresh crop of newbies. Kind of repetitive.

But, I just try to skip by them and read something else. [/B

If you go to the other ones! They have nothing new to say:(
But the complaining of the newbies.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
i personally dont mind certain newbie questions.

I think lawnsite has 2 kinds of newbies.

Newbie Breed #1-Lazy newbies. These are the ones who come up with posts such as: I need a walkbehind, I have some small yards and a big one. I need a trimmer, whats a good kind.

These are the types that get annoying, these are the newbies whom have made no effort to investigate for themselves and are basically saying, I dont want to do the research, you guys do it and then get back to me. These types of posts get annoying, just because its pure lazyness.

Newbie Breed #2-Informed, Motivated newbies. These are the newbies whom have done their detective work, have a general idea of what they need, but still need help. Questions such as, I have mostly moderate sized houses, one with a pool gate and one wide open...would a wise descision be a 52" walkbehind and a 21" mower.

These dont really bother me, no matter how many come up. They have done a little work, and are just looking for a little guidance.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont really think a newbie forum is the solution for the problem, for the simple reason that the only people that will post and repond are the newbies. No one else will visit it, and posts will just pile up and they will get no inteligent responses and no one will get any answers.

I think it should be made clear to newbies before they post of the 2 kinds of questioning, and which ones are deemed acceptable and which are just pure lazyness, and that they need to have made some effort to find answers for themselves before posting.

Once they do a little work, they have a better idea of what they need and it becomes much easier for us to help them, but with these vague questioning, we dont really know what to say.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHO AGREES WITH THIS?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.