• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this???

Jason Rose

LawnSite Fanatic
well would you trim an alberta spruce anyway? I sure never have heard of that.... I see that the other one is a double tree. And the freak show there, hey, that's just "special"! Crazy that a spruce would grow all the way to the top like that. Looks like the nursery that grew them originally just was keeping that spruce sheared off and hoped to pass it off...

AGLA

LawnSite Bronze Member
That is a grafted plant. The part showing up on top is actually growing from below the graft. Many grafted plants get growth from below the graft. Trace it back down through the tree and cut it off.

impactlandscaping

LawnSite Silver Member
Someone at the nursery was bored. Do as AGLA said, and prune it off at the graft point.

AGLA

LawnSite Bronze Member
No. The dwarf part is what was attached, not the funky part. These are propagated by cuttings and by grafting. This one was obviosly grafeted. I have seen this many times on dwarf alberta spruce.

LB1234

LawnSite Gold Member
Jason Rose said:
well would you trim an alberta spruce anyway? I sure never have heard of that.... I see that the other one is a double tree. And the freak show there, hey, that's just "special"! Crazy that a spruce would grow all the way to the top like that. Looks like the nursery that grew them originally just was keeping that spruce sheared off and hoped to pass it off...

We do...not everyyear but they need touchups every once in awhile to keep their nice 'christmass' tree shape.

cgland

LawnSite Bronze Member
AGLA - Do you think it could be a reversion?

I've seen a ton of "spruces" revert to the original species (Norway)

Chris