Has anyone gone green?

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by GardenGal, Jul 22, 2016.

1. GardenGal

GardenGal LawnSite Member

Hi Everyone!

So... long story, short - I inherited my family business last year after the passing of my parents. They started the business when they were older than I am now, so I keep telling myself that I can do this! Ha. Anyway, we also have a garden center/nursery and I've noticed the 'organic' trend has picked up quite a bit. I know most places advertise as being organic, but that it mostly means 'uses as little chemicals as possible, bla bla bla. Different story for a different time. But it leads up to my question. Since people seem to either want to save the Earth or at least are thinking about lowering their carbon footprint.... Have any of you used electric powered equipment? Battery, obviously. I bought a chainsaw, thinking it would be stupid and a waste of money, but it was on sale so I figured now is as good a time as any. All I can say is, wow! I was proven wrong. It cuts pretty damn well. So I got excited and decided, maybe I will buy a battery powered rototiller. Huge mistake. That thing sucks. Now I am torn. I keep seeing these ads for an electric zero turn mower. I just don't see how that could work, unless you're cutting city-size lots. I have a few small lawns on the islands, and I am considering a battery powered push mower because the islands are full of people that do nothing but complain about noise. I figured the battery would be much quieter. But I don't want another dud like the rototiller. So I wanted to know if any of you have used a battery powered mower? Also - I am thinking of buying a hedge trimmer. I see ads for battery ones and they are multi-tool, so you can switch them out. They'd pretty much just be used in the small towns, with tiny yards that appreciate less noise. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. huntlawncare

huntlawncare LawnSite Member

I bought out another green company , and we have batt push mower , and all hand held equipment. i have nothing bad to say about the battery equipment to say the least i was very surprised. we run dewalt & stihl weedeater , hedge trimmers and blower. all large equipment is propane or E85

3. Doug Green

Doug Green LawnSite Member

We use stihl as well. Wright mowers that all use E85. I've never seen the large equipment that runs on propane. Mind posting some pictures? Or where do I find information?

4. GardenGal

GardenGal LawnSite Member

How many hours to you get out of the weed eaters and blowers? Do you have a charger in the trailer/vehicle or something like that? Or do you just have a lot of spare batteries and charge them all at night?....

I'd imagine I could use the battery ones where we do small lots. But the 1-3 acre would probably have to keep the gas ones to use.

5. Velo781

Velo781 LawnSite Member

I use all electric equipment, mostly Greenworks 80v . And really love the mower and blower. Runtime - I use custom batteries I had from ebikes on the mower. I did 6 lawns today on just one 6 ah battery. Small lawns but it's still really efficient and very quiet. I personally just like electric stuff. No maintenance, fumes, and it's fun to get all the work done with a tiny amount of solar or wind power. I'm an efficiency nerd. Only one of my customers care that I'm electric.