Lawn Care Forum banner

Has anyone grown your own trees/bushes.

5K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  allinearth 
#1 ·
I've been growing my own boxwoods for a while with success. Are any of you interested in this if so i'll help you learn some vital tricks to produce nursery quality stock. I'll be on later this evening to help. Got questions just ask.

#2 ·
Yes I would like some helpful points? Also what types of plants/ trees should a nursery have? Thank you.

#4 ·
I like to grow Althea trees/bushes and concentrate on two varieties of Boxwoods English and Wintergreen. First you need some supplies. I get my pots from Grower Supplies very cheap and buy bulk potting mix.

#5 ·
Your nursery should have bushes and trees that sell and have quick movement. You don't want to be stuck with plants that nobody wants to buy.

#6 ·
Taking cuttings of boxwoods is very simple. first, take cuttings from new shoots after they have hardened off some which is when the stems get a little less bendable. 3-5 inches long. Take the bottom leaves off dip in rooting hormone shake off excess. Then insert into potting mix in pots. Water is the key, soak the mix before inserting the cutting. Cuttings should be kept in the shade away from the hot sun. Keep the cuttings moist by watering the cuttings 2-3 times a day. In two months new cuttings should have several white roots.

#9 ·
ive never tried growing my own shrubs but i do grow my own annuals, its just easuer this way for me. i control the quality, there;s no guessing game on what im being sent, i have them when i want them dont have to wait on delivery from another state, plus it gives us something to do in the early early spring and late summer. i grow about 180 flats of 4" (18 a tray) and about 65 flats of 6" (12 to a tray) in the spring and then about 280 flats of 4" in the fall. its works out nice

#10 ·
For Boxwoods the time before you are able to sell them is just under 3 years depending on the size of the cuttings. The drawback for larger cuttings is that they loose water faster due to the cutting having more leaves. 3-5 inch cuttings work great.

#11 ·
Trimming Boxwoods is very simple. Once these cuttings take root they begin to shoot out new buds which turn into stems after they harden off a bit. Trim these with scissors or garden sheers. Shaping the bush is the goal. Take 1/3 of the shoots off after the harden off. Fertilize 2-3 times a year (Osmocote works great).

#12 ·
You can achieve different size grades (3 and 5 gallon by using more cuttings per pot. For 3 gallon containers I use 3-4 stems in the center of the pot spaced in a triangle or box 3-4 inches apart. For 5 gallon containers use 5 in a star pattern space 4-5 inches apart.

#13 ·
3 years may sound loke a lot of time but once your plants start growing it is not slow. Take care of them if you'll have a cold winter by insulating them with mulch, straw or just use a greenhouse. I've been using the cuttings off my new plants to make new plants. Take cuttings as frequent as possible for new plants because at the end of three years you will have to start over if you don't. We are constantly taking cuttings.

#16 ·
With Leylands you can take a cutting 14 inches or so insert it into 4-5 inches of a peat vermiculite/ sand mixture. You will need to build a propagation tunnel to hold the humidity very high. If these begin to dry out any due to the lack of humidity they are dead. Must keep a constant humidity inside the propagation tunnel. These grow fast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.