Has anyone had to fire a customer?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gecko Lawns, Jan 14, 2019.

1. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member

You did the right thing.

Each year I get rid of the problem customers. Not every customer is a good fit for you, just as you aren't a good fit for every customer.

2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Best 15 dollars you could of spent :cool2:

3. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

I lost my biggest customer at the beginning of summer due to unrealistic expectations and the crazy spring weather:hammerhead:
    Very nice person just were growing further apart becoming a bad fit:wall:

4. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic

dont worry if they havent had a problem themselves someone close to them friend or family has had an addictionThumbs UpThumbs Up:help:

Walker56 likes this.
  5. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, it happens.

I only keep a few spots open for the elderly that I give big discounts to. When/if they start becoming hard to deal with, that’s when we have a little discussion. I can work with them being difficult but the discount will be eliminated. They either become easier to work with or they find someone else.

I’ve had 1 in the last 5 years tell me he’d find someone else. He did and he pays more for lower quality. Seen him at the bank 1 day the following season and asked if I had any open slots. Nope cuz I filled your old slot the day after you quit.

When you have a waiting list, you have all the leverage. Losing/dropping a customer doesn’t hurt like it will if your route isn’t full.

6. OP
    OP
    Gecko Lawns

Gecko Lawns LawnSite Member

I know what you mean.
    I have had some elderly customers the were a bit prickly when I started but they have warmed up over time.
    We do run full capacity so if we take on a new job we normally pice increase a couple of lower paying lawns to see if one drops off.

TheC-Master, zlandman and hort101 like this.
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

You put up with a lot more than I would have.

8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

The more experience you get the easier it is to recognize customers that don't fit your business model up front. Have a conversation with them from the start to see if you're right for each other.

hort101 likes this.
  9. Mownmachine144

Mownmachine144 LawnSite Senior Member

I had one of my favorite clients I started my business on discontinue my service this year. "Last year I mean".
    He was a good old man supporting me when I first started. He called me and said he no longer needed me to do his lawn, because he had got someone else that sprays round up in the cracks. For the same price I charged.
    I normally don't do round up or any spray solutions on any of my accounts
    It was very disappointing he discontinued me. I have dropped 3 lawns last year. In total how many people I lost all together was 5 in total last year.
    It's hard to let trusted clients go.

Ma&Pa likes this.
  10. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

Those bullet points would have fired her before we began service.

Mark Oomkes likes this.