1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone had to fire a customer?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gecko Lawns, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Love the Green Biz

Love the Green Biz LawnSite Platinum Member

And consistent measured management is the key to success.

2. Love the Green Biz

I wonder if you could use "You're fired" when dumping a wife or girlfriend.
    Sounds more satisfying than "We've just grown apart".

jetson, Mark Stark and Doc8406 like this.
  3. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

I worked the in the "system" for 22 years.. i have seen this behavior many times.. what gets me most is when they blame everyone or thing else other then themselves!

Love the Green Biz likes this.
  4. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

i can see it now.. "Here's your pink slip!":laughing:

jetson and Love the Green Biz like this.
  5. Love the Green Biz

So true.

6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Former spouses negotiate a buyout package. Wonder when prenups will have these.

7. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

split hairs. If you say that someone is splitting hairs, you mean that they are making unnecessary distinctions between things when the differences between them are so small they are not important.

8. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Words mean different things, but in this case, firing has a meaning and we aren't in the position to fire the people who pay us. that's an oxymoron.

I know it makes us feel better and more important when we use the word, so if you want to call that a better means of communication, fine, i figure it's more of misuse of the word.

9. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Raleigh

PT Barnum would have loved the internet

10. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

It's grammatically a misuse I agree but, like slang, I'm fairly lax about language. If the listener understands the context and meaning the speaker is trying to relay it seems a little pedantic for someone to "correct" them.

In the context of "firing" a client for example, the phrase obviously expresses a lot of emotion and sentiment that other people who've been there can relate to. It might not accurately represent a definition written in dictionaries but in the context of one business owner relating to another there is a consistent understanding about what they are trying to express.