Has anyone regretted buying a mini skid steer?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Mitty87, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know if anyone here has seen my posts, but we move a lot of material by hand. We deal with a lot If small lots 2-7000 sq foot total. Small landscape installs are a big part of our work, something like 2 yds River Rock, 18 yards soil, 7 yards gravel, 1 yard mulch and 1500 sq feet of turf would be an average example.

I have just about been convinced to buy a machine and the bobcat rep is coming to meet me at my dentist appt to wait for me and go over numbers.

I know the skid steer and mini ex guys stay very busy around here, but I've only ever seen a mini skid operating once. I know we can't use it every job but I wonder if it's the right choice.

Has anyone bought one and really regretted their decision? Like you wish you bought a full size machine? I see they get a lot of love here but not quite convinced.

How are they for small grading jobs where id usually get a sub bobcat who makes a big mess?

2. hllc

hllc LawnSite Member

Only regret was waiting to buy one. Shouldn't even be a thought not getting one.

3. UniqueLandscapes1

UniqueLandscapes1 LawnSite Member
    from IL

I’m in the same boat as you and just bought Ditchwitch sk1550. I love it so far and look forward to all the possibilities. I rented a machine last year with a harley rake and final graded an 1.5 acre lot. I liked it better than a full size machine. Depending on how you want to use it I wouldn’t go with the bobcat from what I researched. Vermeer or Ditchwitch seem to be best. Although I guess some is personal preference. Maybe some others could comment.

Mitty87 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Mitty87

I will have to see what options there are here, I have seen deer, cat, kubota and bobcat dealers here. I don't know if I'd find local support for a Vermeer or ditch witch, pretty sure no dingo either.

Edit: Actually Vermeer seems like it is one of the two options here. How much room do the sales people have to work with?

5. UniqueLandscapes1

UniqueLandscapes1 LawnSite Member
    from IL

not Sure about their sales stuff. I think that vermeer & Ditchwitch will definitely cost more but again depends how you want to use it. My machine can move a full pallet of pavers which was important for me. Other brands don’t have a machine capable of that. But some people might not need or want that capability so buying a smaller cheaper machine might be better. They all just save so much time in small spaces though.

6. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Gold Member
    from WV

I believe the only regrets are getting a mini skid that isn't capable enough.

7. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you desperately need a mini skid. Stay away from bobcat. Right now Ditch Witch is #1 and Vermeer next.

zlandman likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Mitty87

When the bobcat rep called me today (he missed my dentist appt), I said I wanted Vermeer info because I heard they are a bit better quality. He seemed disappointed but will get me info on both, he said Vermeer is more $ but what is a few k. Maybe less margin for him with Vermeer?

I did find ditch witch here too, I guess I'll get quotes for both and compare. What would a comparable ditch witch to Vermeer model?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
  9. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

I’m about to buy a sk800. With a bucket $26,500.

I have a boxer right now that I need to sell. If you interested I can send you some pics. I’m located in Northwest Al

hort101 and Mitty87 like this.
  10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

This is a loaded answer

Yes
    I have regretted buying a mini skid steer
    But only because I should have bought a better one

Stay away from older bobcat Mt 50s

Get a 52 or a 55
    Don’t get any Mt 50

I really like the dingo