Has anyone regretted buying a mini skid steer?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Mitty87, Mar 26, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm in western Canada, 26k is probably 40 for us up here.

There is a toro dealer 45 minutes away so I'll probably just compare the 3 others, bobcat DW and Vermeer

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Yea boxer and kanga are other ones you want to avoid

45 minutes away is nothing when talking about a heavy equipment dealer
    You don’t need one close by like you do a mower dealer

I wouldn’t count out dingo
    Go check one out
    They were really the first of their kind and still one of the best

zlandman and hort101 like this.
  3. Sti2.5ldohc

Sti2.5ldohc LawnSite Member

My local Bobcat dealer quoted me 26k for a MT85. I recently upgraded from a wheeled dingo to a ditch witch sk650. I’m looking forward to having a much more capable machine

4. OP
    OP
    Mitty87

I'm not really worried about price, as $5-10,000 is only the gross from one good job. It looks like I'll have to seriously consider all, it seems like a mix of love and hate for bobcat, i guess I'll have to try everything out and see what's best for the type of jobs were doing.

5. WRLandscape

WRLandscape LawnSite Member

I just bought a Ditchwitch SK600 this spring. I haven't regretted the purchase yet, it's saved a lot of hours and my back from moving yards of soil & rock. It doesn't fit lift more than a 1/4 pallet of pavers which is a bit of a downside but it does easily fit through a garden gate which is more important to me (I do a lot of small residential jobs with tight access).

Before purchasing I demoed a Bobcat MT55 as well as the Ditchwitch. I would suggest doing the same if you can. I found the lack of a free-standing platform (not one that has a wheel under it) and the slow reverse speed on the Bobcat inferior to the Ditchwitch. Ditchwitch's attachments are also interchangeable with most other machines so there are more options if you want to rent attachments. Both were similarly priced at a little less than 23K for machine plus bucket.

Mitty87 and hort101 like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Mitty87

We do a lot of small lots here on Vancouver island, most lots run from .07 to .25 acres within the city so full sized skid isn't really always practical. It seemed like the cleanup and damage the bobcat or mini ex would do, along with tight spots that still needed hand work anyway wasn't really worth it to get a machine in.

7. Bates Lawn Care

Bates Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I bought a ditch witch sk600 last May and I cannot imagine doing some jobs without it. The only thing I regret is not buying one sooner. Sometimes it would be nice to have a bigger machine but 90% of the time it’ll do anything you need.

8. OP
    OP
    Mitty87

I'm going to demo the bobcat on a job where I had to dig out 3" patch of 700' sq of gravel so that will be nice to try out

9. Grant11

Grant11 LawnSite Senior Member

I love my mini skid. Initially was having a hard time justifying it to myself. Wouldn't go without one now.

Seems like all the bigger companies around me will have a full sized skid and a mini. Definitely room for both.

10. stringfellohawk

stringfellohawk LawnSite Senior Member

You make more money by using equipment most of the time.
    My buddy bought an MT85 and it's a little beast. I really dig it. He also is questioning why he had not bought one sooner.