Has anyone regretted buying a mini skid steer?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Mitty87, Mar 26, 2018.

1. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

We've used one on a few jobs where a small mini ex is useless to move material around. One of our long time clients uses one daily for his demo work and is on his second mt55, as well as he has an electric converted one as well. But I am sure seeing alot more DW and Vermeer mini skids now.

hort101 and Mitty87 like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

We are in Nanaimo, I was just surprised the bobcat rep told me no landscapers have ever bought one. He said BC hydro buys them, terrain is pretty akward on many properties in Nanaimo lots of small steep lots and rocky ground, but I figure I could use one enough to justify it.

3. Ethan Serna

Ethan Serna LawnSite Member
    from Texas

We just bought an MT85, I love it. I demoed a SK800. The dealer quoted me 38k so I told them get me the sk600, they searched all over the state I was going to wait for 2 weeks. Durring the time I went to the bobcat dealer, and pulled the trigger on a 2018 mt85. And was 6k cheaper with the trencher and bucket combo. It has the bobtach coupler so I can use my pallet forks that u have for my Deere 326. I can tell you that I don't regret the purchase

IMG_20180303_122752_159.jpg

hort101 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Mitty87

The little one worked alright for digging out this old gravel patch, took about 2 hours to dig out 8-10 yards. Will image.jpeg image.jpeg use it to spread fresh gravel tomorrow.

hort101 and Ethan Serna like this.
  5. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

Because they are so light and agile and can now lift a lot they can do so much more than in the past. I have a 52” bucket for mine and I can have a tandem load of dirt moved and spread within an hour

Mitty87 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Mitty87

What type do you have? Wondering if it would be a mistake to get the little mt55. Ditch witch isn't being very helpful is arranging a demo or anything but the bobcat rep is a very good salesman, Delivered and letting me keep the machine for 3-4 days, the bucket doesn't have a cutting blade though, just an old rental so it probably isn't as good as it could be. Hopefully I can arrange a demo with ditch witch.

7. brichter14

My skid is the sk800. I have a 42" toothed bucket and a 52" smooth. Also have the eterra e40 backhoe with 12" digging and 32" smooth bucket.

8. Ethan Serna

from Texas

The ditch witch dealer only let me demo the sk800 for like 1hr. I did not demo the mt85, they did not have one but they got one in in like 3days

9. brichter14

At GIE I demoed all the brands and then I had vermeer and ditch witch bring me a machine. I made a video comparing the two if you are interested in the ditch witch. I couldnt stand the bobcat...I am tall and I hand to hold my hands down by my waist to use controlls and it killed my wrists. The bobcat was also very slow in response to the joystick controls and had a loud belt whine....but that could have just been the GIE machine. Search youtoob for sk800 and you will see the comparison video.

David Benfield and zlandman like this.
  10. Ethan Serna

from Texas

I've seen it video good comparison

David Benfield likes this.