Has anyone regretted buying a mini skid steer?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Mitty87, Mar 26, 2018.

1. S-205

S-205 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ontario

I have owned a 2 wheeled Ramrods, and 1 1150 tracked Ramrod, they were all gas models. I've also rented diesel tracked dingos, the tx420, multiple times in between owning one myself.
    Even the cheaper and much less efficient Ramrods are a life saver for tight landscapes, and they're really helpful around the yard too for moving trailers, salters, attachments, skids etc.
    So the newer (and more expensive) machines are definitely capable. With that said 40k for a small machine is pretty crazy but if all you're doing is fitting through small gates than ya it's worth it. We need a full size skid steer to do snow so it means that we need both, that's why I've always had cheaper used machines in the past. We can't justify both at this point. But it sounds like you can justify the money.

hort101 likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

Even taking it very slow on a lawn it tore it up a bit, also do the track marks in the grass disappear eventually?

It hasn't rained for a few days but was pretty wet the last couple weeks.

I also didn't get to use its full potential today because there was irrigation lines 1" below the surface almost everywhere I took it.

3. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

Forward and reverse track marks go away. If you tear grass turning you need to reseed.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd LawnSite Member

I'm considering a skid steer as well... on wheels.
    The gardens here in The Netherlands are much smaller, but walking behind a wheelbarrow a whole day can make you very tired. Easy entrance to a yard and less space then a mini loader.

I'm consider between a Sherpa, a Giant and a Toro.

Mitty87 and hort101 like this.
  5. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Nice choices only see Toro here out of the three:weightlifter:
    Can you get a powered wheel barrow there?

6. OP
    OP
    Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

So I could only out 4.25 hours on my demo, I broke some sprinkler lines and didn't want to keep using it.

Bobcat is going to pick it up and deliver it to another site so I can keep using it.

hort101 likes this.
  7. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

The only time I regret a mini as opposed to a full sized skid is when i need to move a full pallet of block. But I just break them down to 1/3 pallets and im on my way. Most patio excavation and close to house work (think redoing someones landscape rock/mulch) a mini is where its at.

Today I am going to till some garden plots for some people. Not really reasonable to do that with a full size skid.

I dug 50' of downspouts in the last job I did with my fixed backhoe attachment. On another job I dug a 100' swale with a tiller and my 52" bucket. They are just so much more precise because you can see your cutting edge because your are standing over it.

hort101 likes this.
  8. AWilsonCreativeServices

AWilsonCreativeServices LawnSite Senior Member

My $.02-
    if you do "mini"-sized work, they are invaluable. If all you do is new construction with 20-40 pallets of sod and rough grading, they might not be the perfect single tool, but still would be a great machine to have in the arsenal.

I am a small outfit; we do relandscaping of existing properties. A mini skid fits my needs perfectly- I can get into a backyard to tear out, bring in materials, trench, harley rake, etc with minimal disturbance to the front yd (our old Dingo 322 wheel machine never bothered dry turf, but the newer and heavier track-model diesel Boxer I just purchased with brand new tracks does more turf damage). I can ease my mini-skid in and out from between garden homes that are 4'-6' feet apart to work in backyards, jobs where landscapers with a full-size skid and a min-ex can't even get to the back (which is why all of the local medium to large-sized landscape outfits have a mini-skid). The mini-skids are strong enough to do some real work, but still light and maneuverable enough to trench for irrigation or drainage in an existing yard without unduly damaging the turf, or removing shrubs and replanting mulch beds against a foundation without having to work from the lawn (I do this frequently by getting in and out of the beds & out to street or driveway where materials are staged via using the sidewalk to f. door). I can load a pile of mulch into wheelbarrows faster than my guys can dump it. I can auger holes up to abt 36" (I think) to plant RB's, bore under sidewalks and driveways, and even have a stump grinder attachment. Many tree removal co's use a mini w/a grapple for getting log sections or brush out of backyards with gates or from tight areas. In short, they are highly versatile machines, and if the majority of your jobs aren't working big, open spaces, daily moving large amounts of bulk and palletized materials, and doing rough grading, I'd say a mini skid would be the machine for you.

Yes, the machines are expensive, but they let a 2,3, or 4 man outfit suddenly be as productive on small to medium relandscape jobs (or single-item jobs like adding a tree or irrigation or whatnot) as any other company.

9. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

10. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member