Has anyone set precast 4000 pound blocks with a skid steer?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Mowing monkey., Apr 9, 2019.

1. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

A local sportsman club is wanting me to move some dirt on top of a pistol berm because it failed inspection because it’s too short and set some precast blocks and gravel a 500 yard rifle range. My backhoe isn’t a very good gravel spreading tool so we are going to rent a skid steer to do that. It’s probably too steep to have the trucks tailgate it off. I can move the dirt with the skid steer along with the other small projects they’re wanting done. We’re getting a 95 Kubota so it should be capable lifting the blocks but rather or not it’ll be precise enough to get them into place has yet to be determined. Last time we suffered using the backhoe loader but it was a downhill grade in the mud and we ended up setting them with the boom. This time it’s mostly level and not muddy. Think I should plan on moving the backhoe again or will the skid steer manage?

2. OP
    OP
    Mowing monkey.

Btw I have 100 hours experience in the skid steer so I’m not a complete novice at it but I’ve never tried setting 4000 pound blocks with it.

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I am not sure what the ROC of a 95-2 is but I would think it would be strong enough. There are several track machines that have that kind of ROC BC 870, CASE TV450 and the NH equivalent, WN ST45 are few of them. I would make sure your renting a machine with at least 4k ROC but 4500 would give you some extra capacity.

4. OP
    OP
    Mowing monkey.

A 95-2 is about as big as it gets. The only thing I know of that rivals it is a 333 Deere. But I can’t get one of those. I’m pretty certain the Kubota will lift it but I’m worried about the precision of it especially with that kind of load. My experience is the machine doesn’t move sideways very smooth. My backhoe loader would have done it no problem in the improved conditions but last time it was having a hard time in the mud. The boom worked a lot better. The 95-2 is rated for 4500 pounds rated at 1/2 of tipping load. And I think the blocks are really closer to 3600 pounds.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  5. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I've lifted 4400 lb blocks with our previous 289c and done them with both the 299d and Deere 333. You'll be fine.

hort101 likes this.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know much about backhoes...but a backhoe boom that will lift 4000#?

7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

My bobcat excavator will do that
    Depending on how far out you swing that boom that is..
    The backhoe has more counter balance by design so... yea it probably can.

Mdirrigation likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Mowing monkey.

My full size backhoe could push them to near full existent off the back. I was limited to about 30 degrease off the side. How big is the bobcat excavator? My buddy has a 50 series Deere and it’s pretty useless with the blocks. He can lift them at the closest radius but couldn’t do much with it.

9. OP
    OP
    Mowing monkey.

Here’s a bigger block than the others we were dealing with and luckily I only had to move about 3 of those because they were pushing the limit but that’s about 5,000 pounds and it lifted it and set it on top of the other one.

BC512917-29E6-4DE8-97EB-0E1B20121B87.png

10. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

How did you know the weight?

Walker56 likes this.